Council tax

Updated 23 June 2022

Energy Rebate Scheme 2022

The Government has provided funding for billing authorities to give all households in England, whose primary residence is valued in council tax bands A – D, a one-off Council Tax Energy Rebate payment of £150. Council Tax lists have been used to identify eligible households. The majority of households which pay by direct debit have received their £150 payment.

Energy Rebate applications

The application process closed on 13 June 2022, after this date all applications go through the required verification checks. Government guidance does not allow the council to make payments without additional banking checks to ensure payments are made to the right person and to prevent fraud. 

We expect everyone who is eligible and passes the verification checks to be paid by 4 July 2022. All successful applicants will receive a payment notification letter. 

Where an application is unsuccessful because we were unable to verify details, a payment will be made against the council tax account and a new bill issued. 

The council is aware of the importance of these payments to households and is working as quickly as possible within the guidance to distribute the rebate.

Residents who did not apply by the June deadline will receive the £150 as a credit on their Council Tax account. A revised Council Tax bill will then be sent confirming the payment.

For more information, please read our dedicated support for energy price rises – the council tax rebate webpage.

Council Tax

Council Tax is an annual charge made on residents to pay for services provided in their area. Although Hart District Council collects Council Tax, we pass nearly 90% of it on to Hampshire County Council, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Hampshire, the Hampshire Fire and Rescue Authority and your local Parish Council. Here you can see the breakdown of each organisation’s charges.

The amount you pay depends on which valuation band your home is in (based on a market value of the property as at 1st April 1991).  The Valuation Office, a Government agency, set the banding independently of the Council. To find out what band your home is in visit the Valuation Office Agency website. The amount of Council Tax you pay may also depend on whether you qualify for for council tax support, a discount or an exemption.

New payment reminder service

In August 2019 a new Council Tax reminder service was introduced which alerts residents to any late payments of Council Tax. If a payment is overdue, residents can receive text messages, emails or voicemails reminding that the payment is overdue.

If residents are concerned about ‘Phishing’ attacks and want to check the validity of the messages received, then please call the Council Tax department on 01252 622122.

How to register for Council Tax

You can register for Council Tax by completing the online change of address form.

The Council Tax is worked out on a daily basis. If you move home you may stop being the liable person for your old property. You should inform us about your move so that we can make adjustments to your bill. This is very important if you are moving to a new council area as you may be eligible for a refund depending on how much you have already paid. You can do this by completing the online change of address form.

Please note that registering for Council Tax does not automatically register you to vote in elections. To register to vote please visit

ONS Council Tax data sharing

 As of 13 February 2021, Hart District Council (the Council) will be providing individual council tax records to the Office for National Statistics (ONS) for archiving, research and statistics. The Council is legally obliged to provide your personal information for this new purpose. 

Need some support? 

Connect to Support Hampshire has links to organisations that can help with a wide range of money-related issues including debt, emergency food and keeping your home warm. 

Worrying about money can make your mental health worse. Our Mental Health and Wellbeing page has links to useful websites, Apps, helplines, and local support services for children, young people and adults. If you can’t find what you need, you could try the Mental Wellbeing Hampshire website. 

Hart Employment and Skills Hub offers tailored support to help Hart residents into work or training. 

How to contact Council Tax


Phone 01252 622122

Write  Hart District Council Revenues Section, PO Box 227,  Erith, DA8 9GX