Discounts and exemptions

Find out if you can get a discount on your Council Tax bill

Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for a discount or exemption from paying your Council Tax.

Types of discounts available

There are various discounts which can be applied to your Council Tax:

  • Single person discount application: If you are the only adult living in your house you may be entitled to a 25% discount on your yearly Council Tax bill. You can only claim this discount in the property you live in. 
  • Disabled person reduction: If your home has been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled person, you may be able to get a reduction.
  • Carers discount: If you are providing support to one or more people, you may be able to receive a discount on your Council Tax.
  • Apprentice: If you're an apprentice who earns under £195 per week, you may be able to receive a Council Tax discount. 
  • Prisoners: You can apply for your home to be exempt from Council Tax if you are single, in prison or on remand, and there is no one living in your property.
  • Student discount: Households where everyone is a full-time student don’t have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption. Students can also receive a 25% discount if there is only one person (who is not a student) living at the term-time address of the student. Those aged 18 or 19 who are in full-time education do not have to pay Council Tax.
  • Residential care: This exemption applies to unoccupied homes where the owner or tenant has their sole or main residence in a residential care home, nursing home, hospital or hostel in which they are receiving care or treatment.
  • Severe mental Impairment: Depending on the number of people, a discount or exemption may be applicable where an occupant is severely mentally impaired and is in receipt of certain qualifying benefits.
  • Annexe discount: You may be able to claim a discount or exemption on Council Tax for any annexe at your property, if it is occupied by a family member, a relative over the age of 65, or a relative with a disability.

We also have our Council Tax Support scheme if you are on a low income.

Apply for a discount or exemption

If you apply to claim a discount, you will still have to pay towards the amount on your bill until we make a decision on your claim.

Apply for a discount or exemption

Read more information about properties that may be exempt and our list of Council Tax exemptions.

Care leavers Council Tax reduction

Hart District Council is passionate about improving the lives of our care leavers.

From 1 April 2023 you may be entitled to 100% reduction on your Council Tax bill, so you pay nothing, if you:

  • are a care leaver aged between 18 and 25
  • have been in the care of Hampshire County Council for at least 13 weeks from the age of 14
  • were in care on your 16th birthday
  • are liable for Council Tax or a share of council tax on a dwelling in the Hart District Council area

If this applies to you, you still need to apply for any other reduction to which you are entitled to such as:

  • student discount or exemption
  • single person discount
  • council tax support scheme reduction

We will top up your entitlement with a care leaver discount so you will not have to pay council tax until you reach your 25th birthday.

Award criteria

  • care leavers who are solely liable to pay Council Tax will be awarded 100% relief on the amount of Council Tax they have to pay after all statutory discounts and exemptions have been applied
  • where a care leaver is jointly liable, a proportionate award will be made according to their individual circumstances
  • where a care leaver is not liable for Council Tax, no discount will be awarded

The discount only applies to Hampshire County Council care leavers living in the Hart District Council area.

This discount is only for Council Tax due after 1 April 2023, so you will still need to pay any Council Tax you owe for an earlier period.


Apply for care leavers discount

Your personal advisor or another approved person must complete Part 3 of the form.

The Revenues team will inform you once the discount has been agreed.