Pollution & Nuisance

As part of our pollution control service we deal with a wide range of pollution and nuisance issues, from noisy neighbours through to house/car alarms, and smoke and odour. 

Over the seasonal period we tend to get asked questions that relate to fireworks and bonfires, both in terms of safety and noise.

Please see below two advice leaflets:

Our Environmental Health & Licensing Enforcement Plan sets out the principles and the standards businesses and members of the public should expect.

Air quality

We are responsible for monitoring and managing air quality within the district. We also have a responsibility to investigate complaints about air pollution.

Data relating to the air quality in Hart is available to view on the UK air information resource government website. Please see our nitrogen dioxide (NO2) tube survey results for 2021. You can also view results for previous years 2014, 2015, 20162017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

Public Health England has published a report Health matters: air pollution. This gives an overview on the risks of air pollution and how it can be reduced.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs have published their Clean Air Strategy 2019. This shows how they will tackle all sources of air pollution, making our air healthier to breathe, protecting nature and boosting the economy.

Air Quality Reviews

Please see our Annual Status Report for air quality 2021. You can also view results for previous years 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 20182019 and 2020

Details of the National Air Quality Strategy can be found on the DEFRA website.

Clean Air Act approval

The Clean Air Act 1993 created a wide range of regulations concerning air quality. This includes local authority control over chimney heights. More information on the Clean Air Act, or if you would like to submit an application for chimney height approval please contact us and we will give a written decision within 28 days of receipt.

Environmental Permitting (EPR)

Local Authorities administer some of these permit types whilst others such as waste carrier licenses are issued by the Environment Agency. More information on the issuing body is available on the Environment Agency link for environmental permitting information.  

Industrial processes that pollute the atmosphere are controlled by the Council or the Environment Agency. Here you can find a register of processes authorised by the Council which is kept by the Environmental Health Department. You can view the register at the Council Offices at Civic Offices, Harlington Way, Fleet during opening hours.

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales. You can find out more and apply for a permit on GOV.UK's website. You can also tell us about a change in your existing circumstances.

Bonfires and smoke issues

We are currently not able to investigate one-off bonfires. The potential for statutory nuisance will be considered with reference to a documented record of occurrences and impact at your property. If you are experiencing on-going and repeated disturbances relating to smoke from bonfires, please fill out the bonfire diary sheet

The diary should be kept over a period of one month before returning it to the Environmental Health Team. When the completed diary sheet has been received, it will be reviewed by an officer to establish whether further investigation is required. Should further investigation be required, you will be contacted at this time by the officer to discuss your case.

Where you believe there is immediate danger to life or property as a result of a bonfire, please phone the Fire Service on 999.

Please view our bonfire guidance leaflet for information about the problems caused by bonfires, their alternatives and the legal position on them.

Wood Burning

For advice on how to reduce smoke emission, and the potential for nuisance from wood burning stoves and fires, please see this practical guide from the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs. They also have a useful leaflet on sourcing of wood for use in both domestic stoves and open fireplaces.

You can find advice about using fireplaces in your home on the Burn Right website. Check out their useful tips to help you save money, keep your fireplace and chimney in good condition, and reduce pollution.Please read further emissions and energy performance advice for solid fuel stoves and fireplaces if you require more information.    

Contaminated land

We have a duty to inspect the district in order to identify contaminated land. We created a Contaminated Land Strategy summary which outline the intentions for identifying such land. We also have a developer's guide for safe development of housing on land affected by Contamination.

Requests for information about potential contamination and pre-application development enquiries

We have information about sites which have the potential to be contaminated as a result of a historical land use. To find out more, please contact Environmental Health

You can request technical advice from the Environmental Health Department on environmental constraints and pre-planning application requirements for development sites. Please view our list of fees which you can pay online.


We don't currently have the capacity to investigate one-off noise complaints. 

  • If you are being disturbed by an intruder alarm that is currently sounding, please report it to EH@hart.gov.uk.

  • If you are being disturbed by a party during COVID-19 restrictions where parties are not permitted, please call the police on 101.

  • If you are experiencing on-going, repeated disturbances from noise, please fill out the noise diary sheet. The diary should be kept over a period of one month before returning it to the Environmental Health Team. When the completed diary sheet has been received, it will be reviewed by an officer to establish whether further investigation is required. Should further investigation be required, you will be contacted at this time by the officer to discuss your case.

Should be significantly affected by any of the above the Emergency Out of Hours Noise Service can be contacted on: 01252 774477. The service is available from 18:00hrs Friday to 08:00hrs Monday and all National Holidays.

Private Water Supplies

A private water supply is any water supply which is not provided by a water company that would not be considered to be a 'mains' supply and can be obtained from a variety of sources such as wells, boreholes, springs, rivers and lakes.

All private water supplies can pose a threat to health unless they are properly protected and treated. You may not be able to tell whether your water is safe as contamination may not show in smell, taste or colour of the water.  

More information about Private Water Supplies can be found at www.privatewatersupplies.gov.uk

Is your property on a Private Water Supply?

We are currently looking to identify all households and businesses in Hart that rely on a 'private water supply' or a 'private water distribution network' for their water needs.

Please see our list of fees regarding water sampling.

If you would like to advise us of a Private Water Supply that you know of, please email eh@hart.gov.uk or phone on 01252 774421.