Discounts & forms

You may be able to reduce the amount of Council Tax you pay if you are entitled to a discount or exemption.

To apply for a discount or exemption, you can register and complete our online formCouncil Tax Support is also available for those on low incomes. 
If we have written to you recently about a single persons discount review please complete your review online now. If you complete this form online, you do not need to return the paper form.
Single Person Discount Removal
 - If you wish for a single discount to be removed please use the form on the online account section.

For further information about discounts and exemptions please contact us by email:

The types of discounts and exemptions available are:

  • Single Person Discount Application - The full Council Tax assumes that there are at least two adults living in a dwelling (as their main home). The bill will be reduced by 25 per cent if occupied by one person as their sole or main residence.
  • Disabled Person Reduction – If your property has been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled person you may be entitled to a reduction.
  • Carers Discount   - A person can be disregarded from Council Tax if they are providing care and /or support to one or more people. 
  • Apprentice - People on apprenticeship scheme may be disregarded for Council Tax purposes. You must be following a relevant training course and not be paid more than £195 a week.             
  • Prisoners - You can apply for your home to be exempt from Council Tax if you are single, in prison or on remand, and there is no one living in your property.
  • Student Discount -  Households where everyone is a full-time student don’t have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption. Students can also be disregarded so that a 25% discount is applicable if there is only one person (who is not a student) living at the term-time address of the student.
  • Residential Care - This exemption applies to unoccupied dwellings where the owner or tenant of a dwelling has their sole or main residence in a residential care home, nursing home, hospital or hostel in which they are receiving care or treatment.
  • Severe Mental Impairment- Depending on the number of occupiers a discount or exemption may be applicable where an occupant is severely mentally impaired and is in receipt of certain qualifying benefits – the online form will guide you through the process
  • Annexe Discount - A reduction applies to annexes which are occupied by relatives – (under the age of 65) of the person liable to pay the Council Tax of the main property; or unoccupied as the person living in the main property is using the annexe as part of their main home.

Some properties may also be exempt from Council Tax. Here you can view Properties which may be exempt, also see a list of exemptions.