Planning breaches and appeals

Planning enforcement

We investigate alleged breaches of planning control which are reported to us and we may take appropriate action. These alleged breaches could include works to properties that exceed permitted development rights and would need planning permission, works that are not following the approved planning conditions or plans as set out in a planning decision. 

How to report a suspected planning breach?

Please complete the suspected planning breach online form if you believe that there may have been a breach of planning control.

Your identity is not normally revealed but if we take formal action we may need you to be a witness. At this point your details will become public. 

The Council will not condone wilful breaches of planning law but it will exercise discretion about taking enforcement action if it is considered appropriate to do so. We have an adopted Enforcement Policy which we follow in the majority of cases.

By their nature some alleged breaches of planning control are potentially more serious than others. In order to ensure that appropriate resources are given to the more serious allegations, those that are considered less serious may be looked at over a slightly longer timescale.  

Enforcement register

The Council is responsible for keeping a register of enforcement, stop and breach of condition notices. It also keeps a register of listed building and conservation area enforcement notices.

The register contains:

  • Details of notices issued by us since 1 January 2002.
  • The address of the property to which the notice relates in alphabetical order.
  • A description of the breach of planning control.
  • Date the notice was issued / served.
  • Details of the type of notice issued - for example breach of condition notice, enforcement notice, listed building consent notice.
  • Date the notice was complied with.

The Register is in a number of parts. Prior to February 2014 it can be found from the following links:

Notices issued since February 2014 are available to inspect during office hours, please contact the Enforcement team if you require any assistance.

Planning Appeals

An appeal can be made to the Secretary of State, where planning permission has been refused, an application was granted with conditions considered inappropriate, or an application was not determined within the appropriate time. In Enforcement matters appeals can be submitted where an Enforcement Notice has been served due to an alleged breach of planning control.  

To submit your appeal online, please go to the Planning Inspectorate, or you can contact the Planning Inspectorate to request the appropriate forms.

Details of appeals made, and associated documents can be viewed online under the Council’s reference number of the planning application using Planning Online or via the Planning Inspectorate, using the Planning Inspectorate's appeal reference number. 

Speaking at Planning Enforcement Sub Committee

The Planning Enforcement Sub Committee is held ever quarter and is open to the public to attend. The dates for the meeting can be found on our council meetings webpagePublic speaking is only available to the owner/occupier of the address in question, the complainant and the Parish Council. Should you wish to register for public speaking please complete our online public speaking form.

How to contact Planning:


Phone: 01252 774419