Self Build & Custom Housebuilding Register

Self build housing refers to an individual, or group of individuals, directly organising the design and construction of their own homes. Custom build usually means an individual working with a specialist developer to construct your home. For either option, a serviced plot with vehicular access needs to be available on which to construct the dwelling. A plot could be on its own or part of a larger scheme.

The provision of self build and custom house building plots is supported through Policy H1 “Housing Mix: Market Housing” of the adopted Hart Local Plan 2032.

The Council is required to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land in Hart. Joining the Register is by application and a number of eligibility criteria must be met.

The Register is divided into two parts:

Part 1 – comprises local demand for plots. If you want to be entered onto Part 1 of the Register all the eligibility criteria must be met including a local connection test.

Part 2 – comprises general demand for plots. Eligibility criteria must be met except the local connection test.

The local demand on Part 1 of the Register informs the number of serviced plots that we should be providing in Hart.


You can apply for entry to Part 1 of the register if you:

  • Are aged 18 or over

  • Are a British citizen, a national of an European Economic Area State other than the UK, or a national of Switzerland

  • Satisfy our local eligibility criteria

  • Have paid the relevant fee required to enter or remain on the register

  • Are seeking (alone or with others) to acquire a serviced pot of land in the Council’s area for your own self build and custom housebuilding

A group of individuals who wish to register as an association must appoint an individual to act as the lead contact. An association is eligible for entry to Part 1 if each member meets all of the above requirements.

Criteria for the local connection test and financial resources test are contained in the Eligibility Conditions Guidance Note.

Entry on the Register does not guarantee an allocation of a plot as these are predominantly provided by the private sector.

How to apply

If you would like to be placed on the Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Register please complete the Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Register application form. Once you have been notified that your application has been successful, the appropriate fee should also be paid using one of the methods stated below, in order to enter and remain on the register.


An annual fee is payable for an individual or association of individuals to join the register. The fee is payable within 28 days of being notified that your application has been successful.

Thereafter an annual fee will be payable to remain on the register during the subsequent 31 October – 30 October period.

The annual fees are shown in the table below:

Type of fee



Inclusion fee - Part 1



Inclusion fee - Part 2



Annual fee - Part 1



Annual fee - Part 2



*Includes applications from a couple or 2 or more members of one household, but each member must meet the local connection test to be entered onto Part 1 of the Register.

The Council is entitled to refuse entry onto the Register until the fee is paid, or not paid within the stated time period. Once a fee is paid it cannot be refunded.

On the register

Once you are on the Register we may contact you from time to time with updates about the self build and custom housebuilding initiative, including providing details of serviced plots which are granted planning permission.

The Register will not be a public document, but we will publish headline data annually, such as number of plots required by location.

Register Statistics

This data does not display any personal information but demonstrates the level of interest and the requirements of applicants across the district.

If you have any queries about the self build and custom housebuilding register, if your details or circumstances change, or you wish to be removed from the register, please contact:


Phone: 01252 774118