Premises licences

Which premises need a licence and those that don't

You need a premises licence in Hart:

•    to sell alcohol to the public
•    for regulated entertainment such as live and recorded music, theatre, cinema or indoor sports events
•    for late-night refreshments, including mobile food vans

You must be 18 or over and have the right to work in the UK to apply for a premises licence. A company or business can also apply for and hold a premises licence.

If you sell alcohol to the public, you must name a designated premises supervisor on the premises licence. This person must have a personal licence.

Premises is defined as any place (usually a building). It includes a vehicle, vessel or moveable structure.

Licence fees

You’ll be charged a fee that’s based on the rateable value of the property. Application fees range from £100 to £1,905, depending on the fee band of your venue.

If your premises doesn’t have a rateable value it will fall into the lowest fee band.


The following do not need a premises licence:

  • trains on a journey
  • films shown in museums
  • religious services
  • garden fetes
  • film exhibitions for the purpose of advertising or education
  • premises occupied by armed forces
  • music incidental to other activities
  • live TV and radio broadcasts