Housing advice

Engagement and Support (Housing Options) team

Our Engagement and Support Team can provide you with information, assistance and advice to help you to resolve your housing situation.  If you would like to talk to our Engagement and Support officers about any of the areas below please call 01252 774239 or email Housing@hart.gov.uk.

Information about all aspects of housing advice can be found by visiting Hart Housing Options Online. This is an easy to use online tool that provides information about the housing options and support services that you are eligible for. Alternatively more information can be found below.

You can also access information about a range of other services that offer advice, guidance and support through our Housing Directory of Services. 

Make a Homelessness Referral (Duty to Refer)

This duty requires specified public authorities from 1 October 2018 to notify a Housing authority of service users they consider may be homeless or threatened with homelessness (it is likely they will become homeless within 56 days). The public authorities which are subject to the duty to refer are specified in the Homelessness (Review Procedure) Regulations 2018.

The public services included in the duty are:


Youth Offender Institutions

Secure Training Centres

Secure Colleges

Youth Offending Teams

Emergency Departments

Jobcentre Plus

Social Service Authorities

Secretary of State for Defence

Urgent Treatment Centres

Hospitals providing inpatient care

Probation Services (including community rehabilitation companies)

Before making a referral, a public authority must: 

  • Have consent to making the referral from the individual
  • Allow the individual to identify the housing authority in England which they would like the notification to be made to
  • Have consent from the individual that their contact details can be supplied so the housing authority can contact them regarding the referral 

How to make a Homelessness Referral

Referrals can be made by completing the Hampshire Homelessness Referral Form. You will receive an automated response to acknowledge your referral and further contact once referral is actioned. For guidance on making a referral see the Hampshire Homelessness Referral Protocol. Please email your completed referral form, along with any supporting and additional documentation to dutytorefer@hart.gov.uk.

If you are unable to complete an application form or would like further advice and or information please email dutytorefer@hart.gov.uk or call 01252 774420.


If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, it is important that you contact us immediately. Our Engagement and Support team has a duty to work with people if they are threatened with homelessness within 56 days.  This means that you should contact us if you think your home may be at risk as early as possible and we will work with you to try and prevent you becoming homeless.  We will talk to you about your circumstances and give you advice on what housing options are available to you so you can work towards resolving issues that are threatening your housing situation. During office hours please call into the council offices or telephone 01252 774420.

If you are in immediate need of emergency accommodation outside of office hours you should call 01252 774477.

In Hart we have a No Second Night Out approach to rough sleeping which means we work in partnership with other key services to identify anyone new to the streets and act quickly to make contact and provide support.  This means that anyone finding themselves with nowhere to sleep for one night will be offered help and support by the Housing Service and should not have to spend a second night rough sleeping.   If you are a member of the public, you can also help by reporting anyone you suspect might be sleeping rough. You can do this by:

  • Calling our Engagement and Support team during office hours on 01252 774420 or email housing@hart.gov.uk
  • If you are concerned about a person who you think may be sleeping rough outside of office hours then you can contact Housing Services on 01252 622122.
  • You can also report a rough sleeper through the StreetLink website or call them on 0300 500 0914 and this information will be reported to the relevant local authority.

If you have concerns about the welfare and safety of an individual, especially if you are reporting them as a rough sleeper outside of office hours, then you should also inform the police on 101.

During certain times of the year, Hart operates a Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP) to ensure that no one sleeps rough within the district during times of extreme weather.  


Useful Websites:

Domestic abuse

If you need to leave your home because you are being abused by someone you are living with, please contact:

People who are worried about their behaviour and would like to change can contact:

In an emergency, call 999


Housing Register

Hart District Council does not own any council properties but we do provide a housing register for people who want a home from one of the Housing Associations in the Hart District. You can apply to join the register by completing our online form at the Hart Homes website.

There is a severe shortage of social housing in the District so it is likely you will have to wait a long time to be offered a property. The average waiting times will give you an idea of how long people wait.

Our Allocations Policy will show you how we prioritise Housing Register applications. If you think you might be eligible for a medical assessment then you can contact the Housing Options team for more information.  


Mortgage advice

If you are finding it hard to pay your mortgage or facing repossession and have not been able to resolve the situation with your landlord or mortgage lender, or just need some initial advice, contact the Engagement and Support Team.


Useful Websites:

Private Renting

If you are living in a private rented property the Gov.uk website has lots of information to assist you with queries including repairs, arrears and disputes.

If you are looking for private rented accommodation you could try contacting:

These websites are for information only and not a recommendation from the Council.

If you are a tenant or landlord and would like information and advice on your rights and responsibilities, how to deal with disagreements and fair rents, you may find the following websites useful:

Landlords can also visit:

If you are unable to raise your own deposit you may be eligible for our Deposit Guarantee Scheme. For further information please contact the Engagement and Support Team.

If you are a Landlord interested in renting out a property please contact our Engagement and Support Team for further information on 01252 774420.


EU Settlement Scheme

On 30 March 2019 the UK Government launched the EU Settlement Scheme. More information can be found on the gov.uk website. 

Armed Forces Personnel

Haig Housing is the leading UK provider of rental housing for ex-Service people.

Help to Buy South has information on shared ownership schemes for both serving and ex service people.

You can find further useful information in the leaflets below:

Share this page