Armed Forces information

Armed Forces Information 

Hart District Council is proud of its historic connections with the Armed Forces. The Armed Forces community, including Armed Forces personnel, their families, veterans and reservists, are all important members of our whole community.
This page has information on:

The Armed Forces Community Covenant

Armed Forces Covenant Employer Recognition Scheme Bronze Award Logo
Hart District Council supported the Armed Forces Community Covenant signed by Hampshire County Council and the Armed Forces Community in Hampshire on 23 June 2011. The Covenant is a voluntary statement of mutual support between the civilian community and any serving and former members of the Armed Forces and their families working and residing in Hampshire.

In December 2011, a Hart Armed Forces Community Covenant was established to formally acknowledge Hart's long affiliation with the Armed Forces. The purpose of the Community Covenant is to encourage support for the Armed Forces Community working and residing in Hart District and to recognise and remember the sacrifices made by members of this community. 

The Hart Community Covenant Partnership meets regularly to discuss issues relating to support for the Armed Forces Community and integration of Service life into civilian life. 

Armed Forces Covenant Fund

The Armed Forces Community Covenant Fund was established by the Ministry of Defence to provide local funding for projects which improved integration between the Armed Forces and civilian communities.

The Ministry Of Defence has launched its Armed Forces Covenant website where you can find a range of useful information.
If your group or organisation is considering making an application to the Covenant Fund for a project in Hart,
please let us know by emailing Guy Clayton, Community Partnerships and Projects Manager at

Defence Employer Recognition Scheme

We have an Defence Employer Recognition Scheme bronze award that recognises our support of the Armed Forces and their families. 
Please visit the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme website for more information.

The Gurkhas and Nepalese Community 

Hart has a small but vibrant Nepalese community. The district has a long and illustrious history with the Gurkhas and the Nepalese due to the Gurkha Regiments being stationed at Queen Elizabeth Barracks from the 1970s through to 2000. This relationship continues today with 10 The Queen’s Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment based just over our boundary, at Aldershot Barracks. In 2016 the Council was pleased to connect with the Fleet Nepalese Community Group which led to opportunities to work together. 

Useful Information for the Armed Forces Community in Hart

Adjusting to Life Outside the Armed Forces

An e-learning resource to support service leavers, veterans and their families going through the adjustment process of living outside of the Armed Forces is now available on the Armed Forces Covenant website.
The package addresses the issues that are commonly experienced in the lead-up to, and after leaving the Armed Forces, including acquiring accommodation, employment, finances, health, as well as personal, family and social adjustment.


Hampshire is a two-tier authority area, meaning that it has a county council and a number of district and borough councils including Hart District Council. Hart also has town and parish councils. Find out what each Council is responsible for.

Directories of services in Hampshire

Health & Wellbeing 

For information about access to healthcare for the Armed Forces Community, download this leaflet.
Visit our Health & Wellbeing webpages for information about support to maintain healthy lifestyles, emotional wellbeing,
mental health and care & support.

Housing Advice

Rented social housing

There is limited availability of social housing in Hart. The Council’s Housing Service offers housing advice and support for all residents regarding available housing options. Hart District Council does not own any houses but we do provide a housing register for people who want a home from one of the Housing Associations in the district. Applicants to the Housing Register are usually required to have a local connection with the district but there are some exemptions for Armed Forces personnel and their families including:

  • Those serving in the regular forces or who have served in the regular forces within five years of the date of their application
  • Those who have recently ceased, or will cease to be entitled, to reside in accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence following the death of that person’s spouse or civil partner where:
    • the spouse or civil partner has served in the regular forces; and
    • their death was attributable (wholly or partly) to that service; or
    • is serving or has served in the reserve forces and who is suffering from a serious injury, illness or disability which is attributable (wholly or partly) to that service.

For the purposes of this policy the definition of ‘regular’ and ‘reserve’ forces will reflect the definition set out in s374 of the Armed Forces Act 2006.

The Council may also consider applications from members of the armed forces community as defined within the armed forces covenant where there is evidence that applying the local connection qualifying criteria would cause them to have been significantly disadvantaged by the requirement for mobility whilst in service. This definition includes:

  • Veterans (those who have served as a regular or reservist in the armed forces)
  • Spouses, civil partners, and children for whom regular personnel, reservists and veterans are responsible (and in exceptional circumstances may include parents, unmarried partners and other family members)
  • Bereaved immediate family of service personnel who have died, whether or not the death has any connection with service
  • For further information about the Council’s Housing Allocations Policy visit our webpage on finding a home in Hart.

Private rented housing

Renting from a private landlord is another option for finding somewhere to live. Everything you need to know about renting a home from a private landlord, including what questions to ask and your rights and responsibilities, can be found in the government's 'How to rent' checklist.

Help to Buy scheme

Help to Buy South offers a number of different options for purchasing an affordable new or existing shared ownership home. These Help to Buy schemes are funded by the Government, through the Homes & Communities Agency.
Serving members of the British Armed Forces (and those honourably discharged in the last 2 years, or the surviving partner of regular service personnel who have died in service, where they apply within two years of the date of being bereaved) are a priority group for shared ownership schemes under certain circumstances. For more information visit the Help to Buy South website


If you're homeless or threatened with homelessness, the Council may be able to help. For more information visit our Housing Advice webpage.

Further support

Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) provides housing information and advice to service personnel and their families
to assist them in the transition to civilian life telephone 01252 787 574 or email

Employment support advice

Armed Forces access to Jobcentre Plus
As part of the Armed Forces Covenant, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has initiatives that help current and former armed forces personnel and your families access Jobcentre Plus services.

The Career Transition Partnership (CTP)
Helping ex-Service personnel find civilian employment by encouraging recruiters to hire people from the Armed Forces community.
Service leavers are eligible for support for up to two years before leaving the Armed Forces, and up to two years after.

The Forces Employment Charity is the leading military employment charity and helps thousands of veterans each year. 

Lifeworks Families
A free support service to help military spouses and partners get the job they want. It is available to all spouses and partners of any serving (or recently discharged) member of the Armed Forces, including Reserves.

Forces Families Jobs
The go-to place for training and employment for family members of currently serving UK military personnel. Apply for jobs and access employment and training opportunities with companies and organisations who are forces family friendly. 

Armed Forces charities and other support

A range of local and national charities provide support for armed forces personnel, families, and veterans.
For information about support from charities, government and other supporting organisations visit the Hampshire County Council website

In addition to the information held on the County Council website the following organisations offer support:

Provides disabled civilians and service personnel, without exception, the opportunity to fly and participate in a wide range of aviation activities from a number of airfields including Blackbushe.