This page contains a range of information about cemeteries, bereavement, independent funerals and exhumation. If you need to register a death please visit Hampshire County Councils 'tell us once' service for more information.


Fleet Town Council manage the cemetery at Richard Close. They can be contacted by:

Hart still retains the responsibility for three disused churchyards, St. Mary’s at Eversley, St Mary's at Ewshot and St. Peter’s at Yateley. These were transferred to us under Home Office rules and we deal with maintenance and repair of most of these areas. 

Closed Churchyards

Hart District Council is currently responsible for the maintenance of four closed churchyards in the District under Section 215 of the Local Government Act 1972. These are:

  • Saint Peters, Yateley
  • Saint Marys, Ewshot,
  • Saint Marys, Eversley
  • All Saints Churchyard, Crondall

Hart has adopted the Closed Churchyards Protocol which clarifies our approach to the management and adoption of closed churchyards. Enquiries regarding the maintenance of closed churchyards should be directed to countryside@hart.gov.uk or telephone on 01252 774421.


When someone dies it can be a very difficult and upsetting time. It is important that you give yourself time to grieve. Everyone deals with bereavement differently and you may experience a whole range of emotions. There are, however certain people and organisations that need to be told and specific documents and practical arrangements that need to be completed. To make the process as easy as possible, The Tell Us Once service means you only need to report a death to government agencies once. There is also a useful Tell Us Once video describing the process.  Hampshire County Council provide a range of information through their adult services department. For a full range of help and advice please visit Hampshire bereavement webpage.

Community Burials

When a person dies within the Hart District Council boundary and there is no one prepared or available to take responsibility for the funeral, the Council will arrange the funeral. There are conditions applied to these funerals and they relate to Section 46 of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984. If you would like to discuss this further then please contact our Environmental Health team on 01252 774421​ or email eh@hart.gov.uk.  

Independent Funerals

It is often wrongly assumed that funerals can only be carried out with the use of a funeral director, however some people prefer to organise funerals themselves. This is possible for both burials and cremations, such funerals are referred to as Independent. Hampshire County Council provide more information on funerals which can be found on their register a death website page.

Exhuming a deceased body

‘Exhumation’ means the removal from the ground of the remains of a human being, either in the form of a body or cremated remains. You need to apply for a licence to remove human remains from the ground. You may need to exhume human remains to:

  • move a body from the original grave site to a new grave
  • deepen an existing grave for a further burial
  • send them for cremation

You’ll need to get the signature of any close relatives, the owner of the grave plot and the burial authority. It is an offence to exhume any human remains without first obtaining the necessary lawful permissions, funeral directors will be able to assist in this.

An Environmental Health Officer must be present at the exhumation to supervise the event to ensure that respect for the deceased is maintained and that public health is protected. If the conditions of the licence are not met, or there are public health or decency concerns, the exhumation may not proceed.