Ask to limit what we use your personal data for
You have the right to ask us to restrict what we use your personal information for where:
- you have identified inaccurate information, and have told us about it
- where we have no legal reason to use that information but you want us to restrict what we use it for rather than erase the information altogether
When information is restricted it can’t be used other than to securely store the data and with your consent to handle legal claims and protect others, or where it’s for important public interest.
Where restriction of use has been granted, we’ll inform you before we carry on using your personal information.
While you have the right to ask us to stop using your personal information for any council service it should be understood that, if this request is approved, this may cause delays or prevent us delivering that service.
Where possible we’ll seek to comply with your request, but we may need to hold or use information because:
- we’re required to have it by law
- we need to continue to process the data to perform our statutory duties or to exercise our ‘official authority’
- it is necessary for legal claims