Work with our Elections team

We welcome interest from people who want to help with elections or electoral records in Hart

We sometimes need to recruit temporary election staff. This is usually at election time and when we're preparing the new electoral register.

If you are interested in working for us at election time, please complete the:

Election staff online application form

Before the election

Elections are usually on the first Thursday of May. In the run-up to elections and on election day, we need to employ:

People in these roles may work fixed or variable hours for one day or for several days. We’ll agree this with you before you start.

Payments are around:

  • £256 for a presiding officer
  • £192 for a poll clerk

Election teams pay the same fees across Hampshire. See the fees agreed by the Hampshire and Isle of Wight election fees working party.

Electoral records officers

We recruit electoral records officers to help us compile a new electoral register every year between August and November. At this time, we ask people to tell us who should be registered at their property.

You will visit properties across Hart to obtain information about people who have not completed the form we send out each year. They do this using a tablet, which we will provide.

If you are interested in this role, please complete the electoral records officer application form.

If you are appointed, you will need to provide a jpeg photo of yourself to go on your ID card.

Application process

After you apply for a role, we’ll ask you for evidence you are entitled to work in the UK.  Once we have this, we’ll ask you to create a staff personnel account.

We’ll expect anyone working with us to follow the same rules as all employees of Hart District Council.

Entitlement to work in the UK

To work with us, you will have to show you are entitled to work in the UK. You will need to provide one of the following:

  • a valid passport
  • a full birth certificate issued in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Ireland, plus an official document giving your permanent national insurance number along with your full name
  • your UK Gov share code to show your immigration status - Prove your right to work to an employer: get a share code

Please contact us with any queries or look at the government guidance regarding other suitable right to work documentation - An employer's guide to right to work checks