Tattooing, piercing, acupuncture & electrolysis

If you offer tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing, acupuncture or electrolysis, you must be registered with Hart District Council.

If you work from premises, they must also be registered. Once registered, you will be issued with a certificate of registration. You must provide specific information including details of your premises and any previous convictions for practicing without a licence in this field.

Before you apply, you need to make sure that you can meet our standard requirements for piercing, tattooing, electrolysis, semi permanent skin colouring and acupuncture


  • Personal licence - £187.35
  • Premise licence - £187.35
  • Personal and premise bought together - £281.03

The licensing fee reflects the time spent by the officer to assess compliance with licensing conditions. Should you fail to meet the requirements of the licence, your fee will not be refunded.

Apply and pay for a licence

You can also pay on our website under 'More Payments' and 'Environmental Health'.

Tell us about a change to your existing licence

Massage and special treatment premises licensing

If you run an establishment within the Hart District for massage and/or special treatments you do not need a licence to cover these.

Should you offer massage and/or special treatments as well as any skin piercing treatments you will require a licence.

Special treatments include:

  • massage
  • manicure
  • chiropody
  • light treatments, eg sunbeds
  • electric treatments, eg electrolysis
  • other treatments involving heat, light or vapour, eg sauna or other bath treatments

Share this page