Regularisation application

If you've done work without building regulation approval, you can apply for approval now

If you've carried out work such as extensions or alterations to a property without building regulation approval, you can apply for retrospective approval. This is called a regularisation application.

You can only do this for work carried out after 11 November 1985.


A fee is applicable as identified on our fees and charges guidance and there is no VAT payable

Building control fees

Apply for retrospective approval             

You can do this by completing a regularisation application form. You can pay for it online by making a regularisation approval payment on our online payment system.

What happens next

After you have submitted the application, you will need to contact our Building Control team to arrange a time for us to visit the site and inspect the completed work.

Once we have inspected the work, we will tell you if you need to make any changes to comply with the building regulations.

At this point, you may decide that you want to proceed with the application and carry out any work that we have said you need to do, or you may want to return it to its original state. Even if you choose not to proceed with the application, we cannot refund your application fee.