Do I need building control permission?

Find out if you need permission from us when carrying out building works to a property

If you are going to make changes to your home, you need to make sure that the work follows building regulations. 

If you have planning permission for work to your property, you may also need to have building control permission.

Building regulations set standards for design and construction in England and Wales. They apply to most new buildings and many alterations to existing buildings.

You may also need planning permission for your proposal. If so, you must have it in place before you start on site. For more information, please see our Check if you need planning permission page.

What to do next

If your proposal does require our permission, you will need to apply for a building notice or full plans notice.

Further advice

Please read the guides below for detailed information on extending your home and converting buildings.

We share Building Control with Rushmoor Borough Council. The Building Control team is based in Rushmoor Borough Council offices in Farnborough.