Building notices

A building notice allows you to do building works without having to provide plans first

A building notice allows you to carry out building works without having to provide plans first. You can apply for a building notice for most domestic building work proposals where there are no sewers and where you do not need the protection of full plans approval.

If a public sewer is found within three metres of any proposed foundations, you will need a formal 'build over' agreement from your water supplier.

A building notice cannot be used for work that involves offices, shops, railway premises, hotels or boarding houses.

If you have not already done so, we recommend that you get professional advice about your scheme before you start work.

Fees for a building notice

If you apply for a building notice, you will only have to pay one fee and this is when you submit the application.

Building control fees 

Apply for a building notice

By email

Fill in and email to us a building notice form. Once the fee is confirmed, payment can be made on our online payment system.

By post

Fill in and print out a building notice form and post it to us.

Once the fee is confirmed, payment can be made by sending a cheque payable to ‘Hart District Council' with your completed form or, if you prefer, you can pay for it online by making payment on our online payment system.

What happens next?

When we receive a building notice form, we will usually send an acknowledgement within 48 hours. We will write to you to let you know what happens next.

We may ask for details about certain aspects of the works, for example structural calculations, layout plans or heat loss calculations.

Once we have carried out all the necessary inspections and the work complies with building regulations, we will issue a completion certificate. This certificate will be important if you sell your property and we recommend that you ask for it when your builder completes the work.

We will also need you to provide us with a completion declaration as part of the completion process. This must be signed by all duty holders, including the owner, builder and designer.