Are you eligible for a grant?

You might get some help upgrading your home from a variety of initiatives that either discount or fully fund home upgrades. Read on to explore what you may be eligible for.

Minor works grants

Hart District Council offers small grants for owner-occupiers who receive means-tested benefits.

Read more on our Minor works grants page

External grants

We'll update the details as initiatives open or close.

Boiler upgrade scheme

A grant would cover part of the cost of replacing fossil fuel heating systems in your home with a heat pump or biomass boiler. The scheme was recently extended until 2028 and offers grants of:

  • £7,500 towards an air source heat pump 
  • £7,500 towards a ground source heat pump including water source heat pumps and those on shared ground loops 
  • £5,000 towards a biomass boiler

Consumers can also receive a zero VAT rate on installations.


Eligibility criteria apply to you and to your property, See the link below for full details. You'll need a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your home with no outstanding recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation. If you don't have an EPC, you can apply to have your home assessed

Go to the Government's Boiler Upgrade Scheme web page for more details

Telephone: 0330 053 2006

Energy Company Obligation scheme

The Energy Company Obligation is a requirement for energy suppliers to help households reduce the costs of their home heating by installing energy-saving upgrades.


You might be able to get help for energy-saving improvements to your home if you either:

  • claim certain benefits and live in private housing. For example you own your home or rent from a private landlord
  • live in social housing

This Government website has more details of who might be eligible for help from the Energy Company Obligation Scheme.

Ofgem lists suppliers taking part in the scheme

Great British Insulation scheme 

Previously known as ECO+, this scheme complements the Energy Company Obligation scheme, but is mainly focused on single insulation measures. You may be able to get free or cheaper insulation to reduce your energy bills.

You may be able to get support to install

  • cavity wall insulation
  • solid wall insulation internal or external
  • loft insulation
  • flat or pitched roof insulation
  • underfloor insulation
  • solid floor insulation
  • park home insulation
  • room-in-roof insulation


You might get support if your home:

You can be a homeowner, landlord or tenant either renting privately or from a housing association. If you’re a tenant, speak to your landlord before you apply. You’ll need their permission before any insulation can be installed.

This scheme is administered by Ofcom and applied for through energy suppliers. 

Apply for support from the Great British Insulation Scheme

Telephone: 0800 098 7950

Home Upgrade Grant

The new Home Upgrade Grant Phase 2 scheme will deliver energy-saving improvements worth an average of £18,000 free of charge to those on low household incomes in hard to heat off-gas heated homes. 

Successful applicants could get free of charge:

  • insulation and ventilation upgrades making homes more comfortable in the winter, helping prevent damp and mould as well as reducing heating bills
  • low carbon heating systems such as an air source heat pump to cut carbon emissions
  • heating controls
  • energy-efficient hot water systems
  • solar panels to help reduce electricity bills


The Home Upgrade Grant Phase 2 is open to homeowners and private tenants in:

  1. homes not heated by mains gas which includes oil, coal, LPG or only electric heating, and  
  2. households with a combined annual income of less than £31,000 gross OR receiving certain income-related means-tested benefits such as Universal Credit and
  3. hard to heat homes based on your home EPC. You’ll be helped with this part of the assessment and receive a free EPC assessment if you do not have one.

Apply for a Home Upgrade Grant

Electric Vehicle Charge Point Grants

The grant provides electric vehicle (EV) drivers who are renters or own a flat with support towards the costs of the purchase and installation of EV charge points.

You can get 75% off the cost to buy and install a socket, up to a maximum of £350.


You can apply for this grant if you either:

  • own and live in a flat or
  • rent any residential property (this includes properties under the shared ownership scheme)

You must own an eligible vehicle and your home must have its own private off-street parking space. More detailed EV eligibility guidance is available.

Apply now for Electric Vehicle Chargepoint Grant

Similar grants are also available for landlords and staff and fleets.

Solar Together

Although not a grant, this group-buying scheme aims to help people source high-quality solar panels and battery storage at competitive prices. It’s free to register and there’s no obligation to go ahead with an installation. The scheme is administered by Hampshire County Council who have historically opened it 6-8 weeks for applications in September/October time. 

Register for updates

Telephone: 0800 098 8415

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?
Last reviewed: