Universal Credit

How to receive help paying your rent if you are out of work or on a low income

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people out of work or on a low income.

Universal Credit has replaced the following benefits:

  • Income Support 
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance 
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance 
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax credit 
  • Child Tax Credit 

This means that if you live in Hart and need help paying your rent, you will need to claim Universal Credit, unless you:

  • have reached State Pension age
  • live in supported accommodation
  • live in temporary accommodation

If you are in one of these categories, you will need to claim Housing Benefit.

You can find more information on Universal Credit at GOV.UK.

Apply for Universal Credit

Please use our benefits calculator to see which benefits you may be entitled to before applying for Universal Credit.

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit. This means that your income and savings are taken into consideration when applying.

To make a claim for Universal Credit, you will need to complete an application form on the GOV.UK website:

Apply for Universal Credit online

How will I be paid?

Universal Credit is paid once a month, usually into your bank or building society account. It takes around five weeks to get your first payment.

If you need money while you wait for your first payment, you can ask for an advance payment.

Apply for an advance payment

Support with claiming Universal Credit

Citizens Advice Hart offers free and confidential advice to help you to register an online account, complete an application and manage your money. It can also assist with the management of any ongoing claims.

To contact Citizens Advice Hart:

You can also get advice on the Universal Credit Service Helpline on 0800 328 5644.

If you would like to speak to one of the Council’s Housing Benefit officers, call 01252 622122.