Change of circumstances

Let us know if your circumstances change, including your income, where you live and who lives in your home

You need to tell us straight away about any change that could affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. If you do not tell us, you could be paid too much benefit and have to pay back the overpayment.

Changes in your circumstance that will affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support include:

  • address, if you move to another property 
  • income, wages or savings
  • tax credits
  • pension
  • Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income of other people living in your home
  • someone else moving into your property
  • your children leaving school or starting work
  • anyone in your household going into hospital
  • leaving the country
  • birth of a child
  • the amount of rent you pay

This is not a full list. If you are unsure, please tell us about a change anyway and we will let you know if it will affect your benefit.

Report a change of circumstances

The evidence you will need to provide is shown in our Standards of Evidence document.