Ukraine conflict: Support and information

Last updated 12 August 2022

Homes for Ukraine Scheme

The County Council continues to work with key local partners to enable support and assistance to Ukrainian refugees (guests) arriving in Hampshire under the Government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme. The focus remains on conducting home visits and ensuring key information is shared with guests and sponsors efficiently. Partner organisations include District and Borough councils and Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire & Rescue Service, as well as the NHS, and Hampshire Constabulary.

Home visits will be undertaken by a County Council Family Support Worker, as well as a Fire Safety Officer from the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire & Rescue Service. You will receive a telephone call from the County Council to arrange this.

For enquiries regarding initial visits only, please contact  

Visits to sponsors’ homes continue to be arranged and undertaken at pace across the county and will include visits booked at weekends.

Please see below flowchart containing information for Sponsors.
Homes For Ukraine Sponsor Guidance Flowchart

Information for both sponsors and guests can be found on the Hampshire County Council website: Guidance for sponsors | Hampshire County Council ( Here you will find details of the checks that will be carried out during your home visit, welcome packs in English and translated languages and information about how to apply for school, college and further education.

The Government has provided advice to sponsors and arriving guests regarding access to NHS healthcare in their Welcome Guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK - GOV.UK, along with a wealth of further information about life in the UK.

We have put together this pack which includes local information, as well as information from the Government and other local partners - Hart Welcome Pack.

Please see our privacy notice which covers the Homes for Ukraine Scheme as enacted by the UK Government.  This information should be read in conjunction with the Council's overarching privacy notice.

Resource pack to help schools and colleges support Ukrainian students

The Department for Education (DfE) has published a resource pack with links to further information for schools and colleges with Ukrainian students, including:

  • Guides to the English education system
  • Mental health and wellbeing support
  • English language support
  • Short courses

If you have any questions, queries or just require some advice regarding the Homes for Ukraine Scheme, then please email

Hart Voluntary Action has compiled a useful resource for both hosts and Ukrainian refugees. Please visit 

More importantly, Hart Voluntary Action is offering to be a point of contact to try and bring together an informal network of people and groups wanting to assist Ukrainian refugees and their sponsors/hosts through offering access to community support for social, practical and welfare support.

In the first instance, the Homes for Ukraine team will look at possible rematching with new sponsors within the Hart area. In this instance we will encourage an informal meeting with the potential new sponsor and the family prior to the new arrangement. This is the most achievable way of securing accommodation in the short term, please contact us using our single point of contact

The next solution available to families will be to rent accommodation within the private sector. In general, most landlords require a five-week deposit and one month's rent in advance. This can vary significantly according to the terms that each individual landlord or estate agent will accept. Some landlords may require at least six months’ rent in advance. others may only accept a family who are working and/or have a guarantor. Homes for Ukraine can work with the family and potential landlords.

To see if a family would be entitled to any benefits when renting in the private sector, go to, to go through a calculation. Choose Tenant - Private sector when working out entitlements; an estimated rental figure will need to be used if a specific property has not yet been found.

Once you know what the family household income would be, including wages, benefits, child benefit etc, it is important to work out an estimated expenditure when renting in the private sector. The household expenditure should include all priority bills such as rent, council tax, utilities bills alongside food shopping, clothing, mobile phones and all other regular expenses within the household.

There are budget calculators available to work out estimated expenses such as the one below although there are many others available online. Budget Planner: how to manage your money - MoneySavingExpert

Whilst families are still residing with sponsors, without expenses such as utilities, council tax and rent costs, it is the ideal time to save towards a deposit and rent in advance to be able to move on into the private sector. As most rental properties are unfurnished with the exception of some white goods (fridge freezer, oven) this should be taken into account when planning a household’s move on options.

If accommodation is found in the private sector but some financial assistance is required to secure the accommodation, we can work with families on a case-by-case basis to see how we are able to assist.

We would also encourage families to join the Council's Housing Register although there is a waiting list of a number of years for most households due to the demand and availability of properties through this scheme. This option cannot be relied on to resolve a family’s current housing situation. Please use this link to join the Council’s Housing Register:

Please contact us at should you have any questions about any of the above or you need further support.

English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) and conversational English

Fleet Library are running English courses English for Speakers of Other Languages @ Fleet Library

To find out more information on English courses at Yateley Library, please call 0300 555 1387

Hart Voluntary Action have a complete list of conversational English and ESOL classes. Please contact them by either emailing or calling 01252 815652

Free ESOL lessons are also available online - ESOL Courses - Free English Lessons Online

Ukraine Connections

This is an opportunity to meet others for a friendly chat and a drink. These are held at Fleet Library every Wednesday 10am - 12pm and Yateley Library every Monday between 1pm - 3pm.

Support for refugees

Barnardo’s have a dedicated phone line for families who would like to speak with someone about their experiences. They can offer the following services:

Therapy with a qualified psychotherapist – delivered via the phone or online, with access to interpreters

Advice on a range of issues e.g., housing, accessing key health services, education, employment and more via our trained helpline support workers

Practical support - access to digital devices to ensure families stay connected to loved ones during this worrying time, as well as stimulating toys for children, vital baby items and more

Helpline number - 0800 148 8586

For employment opportunities at Hart District Council, please follow the link

Hart and Frogmore Leisure Centres - Hart District Council is devoted to helping its residents achieve a healthy body and mind by providing a variety of leisure facilities for all ages to enjoy. Working in partnership with Everyone Active, which manages our leisure centres, the council aims to help more people experience these benefits by supporting them to be more active, more often.

For more information about Everyone Active and the Leisure Centres, please follow one of the following links:

Everyone Active is donating free membership to Ukrainian families and individuals to help support physical and mental wellbeing and to support them to feel part of our community   To see what is being offered, please click on the link Ukrainian Refugee Free Membership - Everyone Active

Here you will find the details of providers who are offering free places for eligible children over the Summer holiday across the district and county.  These are being provided through the DfE's Holiday Activity and Food Fund scheme.

Holiday Activities and Food Programme - Summer Holiday Provision | Family Information and Services Hub (

Hart District Council can provide a matching service if required.  For details, please email


Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?