Support for energy price rises – the council tax rebate

The government recently announced the following measures to help households with rising energy costs.  For full details please see the government’s factsheet.

The schemes which will be administered by the council are listed below.  These are not related to the £200 Energy Bill Discount – for details on that scheme, please contact your energy provider.

1. The £150 council tax rebate

The £150 ‘rebate’ is available to most households in England whose home is valued in council tax bands A to D. Residents in band E homes who receive Disabled Persons Relief will also receive a payment.

If you do not know which band your property is in, you can find it on your latest council tax bill or on the Valuation Office website.

The government has now issued full eligibility criteria for the scheme. Please note, second homes and empty properties are not eligible for this payment.

Important information about how this ‘rebate’ will be paid:

Contrary to some reports, the ‘rebate’ will not be taken off this year’s council tax bill.  Here’s how the payments will be made:

  • If your household pays their council tax by direct debit – we should be able to pay the £150 directly into your bank account. Most residents would have received a payment on 29 April, and the £150 rebate will show in bank accounts as being received from Hart District Council. 
  • If your household is not on direct debit – Residents who do not pay by direct debit or whose details need updating have been sent letters w/c 16 May with details on how to apply for the Energy Rebate.

Please note we will not cold call you to request your bank details.

You must continue to pay your council tax bill as per the instalments and dates shown on your bill. If you are struggling to pay, you must contact us as soon as possible.

2. Discretionary fund for households not eligible for the council tax energy rebate.

There will be some further funding available to help households who do not qualify under the main scheme.

We will be implementing a discretionary scheme as soon as possible, once we have more information about this, we will publish details here.

Further information

If you would like to set up a Direct Debit online, please sign into your online council tax account, or if you don’t have an online account you can still set up a Direct Debit online.

If you are struggling to pay your council tax bill please visit our Council Tax help and advice webpage to find out about the support available or call 0345 302 2313.

For advice if you are struggling to pay other bills please visit Citizens Advice website –

Notice from the Valuation Office Agency 

Following the Chancellor’s announcement on 3 February 2022 regarding support for energy bills, the Valuation Office Agency have received an increased number of requests on how to check and review a dwelling’s banding.

If any resident wants to request a review of their council tax band, they will need to explain why they believe their band is incorrect and provide supporting evidence. The Valuation Office Agency has issued guidance for further information.

The Valuation Office Agency also recently published an article for residents setting out the circumstances in how they will undertake a band review and the evidence customers need to provide.

Is this page helpful?

Is this page helpful?