Environmental permits

About environmental permits

You may need an environmental permit for your industrial process

You should check whether you need an environmental permit for your business or activity.

Businesses that need an environmental permit include:

  • petrol stations
  • dry cleaners
  • crushing and screening of concrete, bricks and tiles
  • roadstone coating processes
  • loading, unloading and use of bulk cement (e.g. a batching plant)
  • using solvents (e.g. for surface cleaning, or vehicle respraying)
  • foundries and furnaces

Check if your business needs a permit

For more information about the charging scheme for local authorities, please go to the GOV.UK guidance page:

Permits for solvent emission: fees and charges for applications.

Please contact Environmental Health to request an application form for your specific process and if you have any questions:


01252 774421

Civic Offices

Hart District Council

Harlington Way


GU51 4AE