Safety standards

Energy, electrical and gas safety standards for private rented housing

Electrical safety

Landlords must get a qualified and competent person to inspect and report on all electrical installations in their properties at least every five years.

Landlords must give a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants. This must confirm that installation is ‘satisfactory’ and complies with current standards.

For further information, read the government’s guide on electrical safety standards.

Gas safety

Landlords must have all gas appliances in their properties tested every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. They must give a copy of the report to their tenants.

For further information, read national gas safety advice.

Minimum energy efficiency standards

Any property rented out in the private sector must have a minimum energy efficiency rating of E on an energy performance certificate (EPC).

You are breaking the law if your property doesn’t meet this standard (unless there is an exemption).