Your housing benefit claim

Please note that Universal Credit is now operational for some postcode areas in the Hart District area and for residents in these areas, support for housing costs for most new claims are now covered by Universal Credit and housing benefit is not payable. For more information please visit our page on Universal Credit.

The easiest way to check if you are in a postcode area where Universal Credit is operating and whether you may be entitled to housing benefit is to use the online benefits calculator before completing the online form. Here you can claim online for housing benefits. If you are entitled to claim for Universal Credit there will be a link at the end of the benefits calculator which you can use to go to the relevant website.

Where Housing Benefit may still be claimed, you can apply whether you are employed or unemployed and you do not have savings/capital over £16,000.

Always claim as soon as you need help paying your rent - Housing Benefit is normally awarded from the Monday following the date you first contact us.

How much Housing Benefit you are entitled to depends on:

  • The ‘eligible’ rent and whether you have to pay service charges
  • Your household income, including self-employed earnings
  • Childcare costs
  • The amount of capital or savings you have
  • The number of people in the household and their ages
  • The number of “grown up” children in the household (known as non-dependants)
  • If anyone in your household is disabled or is a carer

A non-dependant is someone aged 18 or over, who normally lives with you but not liable to make any payments in respect of the dwelling.

The following people are not classed as non-dependants:

  • your partner
  • children for whom you receive child benefit
  • people in full time education

Your Housing Benefit will reduce depending on the number of non-dependants living with you. We will not make any non-dependant reduction if you receive Attendance Allowance or care component of Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment . Also, there is no deduction, if you are registered blind, or the non-dependant is a pensioner or receipt of Guarantee Pension Credit.

Non-dependant deductions for Housing Benefit –gross weekly income of non-dependant

Weekly Deduction £

In receipt of Assessment Phase Employment and Support Allowance


In receipt of Pension Credit


In receipt of Main Phase Employment and Support Allowance


Aged between 18 and 24 in receipt of Income Support/Jobseekers Allowance


Aged 25 and over in receipt of Income Support/Jobseekers Allowance


Aged 18 or over with no income


Aged 18 and over working less than 16 per week


Aged 18 and over working 16 hours per week or more:


Less than £136.00 per week


Between £136.00 and £200.00 per week


Between £200.00 and £259.00 per week


Between £259.00 and £346.00 per week


Between £346.00 and £430.00 per week​


Not less than £430.00 per week