Street trading

Street trading is the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street. This includes food such as burgers, kebabs, doughnuts etc. or other things such as flowers and household items. 

All streets in Hart are designated as Consent Streets. This means that any person who wishes to sell items from a trailer or stall in a street must first obtain Street Trading Consent from Hart District Council.​ If you are going to be selling food you will need to be registered as a food business with the council and you’ll need a valid Food Safety Certificate. 

A street is defined in law as any road, footway, beach or other area (private or public) provided the public have access without payment and the area has been designated as a consent street. If you wish to trade on an area of private land that does not fall within the above definition, please speak to the Licensing Team as a Street Trading Consent may still be required.

How we manage the licensing of streets within the district for trading purposes is set out in our Street Trading PolicyIt also sets out the council’s position in respect of the administration of applications for street trading consents and the monitoring of such consents following grant. 

You may not need a Street Trading Consent if you are:

  • Trading as a pedlar under licence issued by a Police Authority
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals
  • Trading on private land - you may not need a consent if the pitch is not visible from a public highway. To confirm the situation you are advised to contact the Licensing Team (01252 622122). The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to check with Planning.


Licence fees can be paid online:

  • 12 months: £513
  • 3 months: £131 (seasonal consent, only one issued per calendar year

Food services

It is imperative takeaway services adhere to Public Health guidelines with regular and thorough cleansing and hand washing and adopt business practices to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Food handlers, service staff and delivery personnel must not work if they have any symptoms of illness that will compromise food safety or cause the spread of infection. If staff become unwell with a new, continuous cough or a high temperature, they must be sent home immediately and advised to follow current NHS advice. 

You need to consider all aspects under your business risk assessment and take steps to ensure your workplace is a safe environment at which to trade. 

 If you require further guidance, please contact Environmental Health for food safety matters or Licensing for street trading matters by calling 01252 622122 or emailing or

Tables and Chairs Pavement Licence

To support businesses with social distancing the Government passed a bill to allow tables and chairs to be placed on the pavement in front of premises serving food and drink.

Businesses serving food and drink outside and wanting to place tables and chairs in front of their premises on the pavement must apply for a pavement licence. 

The furniture able to be used is:

  • Counters or stalls for selling or serving food or drink
  • Tables, counters or shelves on which food or drink can be placed
  • Chairs, benches or other forms of seating
  • Umbrellas, barriers, heaters and other articles used in connection with the outdoor consumption of food or drink

This furniture will be required to be removable, which in principle this means it is not a permanent fixed structure, and is able to be moved easily, and stored away of an evening. 

The Pavement Licence fee is £100.

How to apply

If you would like to apply for a Tables & Chairs Pavement Licence, please read the Government Pavement Licence Guidelines. Please complete our Pavement Licence application form, and post a copy of the Notice of Intention on the window or door of your premises so it is visible for 5 working days. If you have any further questions or queries, please email 

Applications take 10 working days from the day after the application is made (excluding public holidays), which allows 5 working days for public consultation, and 5 working days to consider and determine the application. If we are unable to determine the application within 10 working days, the application will be deemed to have been granted.

For details on how we process and use personal information, please read our Temporary Pavement Licence Privacy Notice.