Sewers & drainage

Thames Water is responsible for the maintenance, repair and clearance of all sewers within Hart.

Property owners are responsible for the length of drain that takes wastewater away from their home up to its boundary or to where it becomes a public sewer.

Blocked drains

If your drain is blocked you will usually know because:

  • Your wastewater will stop going away when you flush the toilet or empty a sink/bath
  • Gutters or drains outside your home, but still on your property, will overflow
  • There will also probably be a smell

If you have a blocked drain or sewer, you need to try and find out where the blockage is. Talk to your neighbour/s to see if they are also affected. If more than one property has the problem, contact Thames Water customer service on 0800 316 9800. 
If only your property is affected and it does not share a drain with a neighbour, it is your responsibility to unblock and/or repair it.

More information is available on Thames Water’s blockages webpage.


Information and advice on what to do if your home is at risk of flooding can be found on our flooding and weather page.

Highway drainage

This is the drainage that clears rainwater from roads and footpaths. The most common problems are blocked gullies and ditches which may result in water pooling on the surface.

Hampshire County Council is responsible for all drainage associated with public roads. Please report to 0300 555 1388 (8.30am-5pm, Monday to Friday) or phone 101 outside office hours if it is an emergency.

Septic tanks and cesspools

If you have a septic tank or small sewage treatment plant, you must ensure your system is maintained properly and does not cause pollution. People may need to apply for a permit in areas designated as environmentally sensitive.

More information can be found on the government’s septic tank webpage.