Renting out your home

Thinking about renting out your home?

If you are a landlord who would like to rent out your property, please contact the Housing Service for further information on 01252 774239. We offer a landlord incentive scheme to those who are willing to work with the Council and rent their property to our clients.
If you are already a landlord or property owner in Hart we can offer you a range of free services and an easy way to let your property.  

Why choose Hart District Council to let your property? 

We currently have over 1,275 tenants on our housing register waiting to move into properties in Hart. We can offer you a let only service with no fees.

Landlord benefits include:

  • Guaranteed first month’s rent in advance
  • Tenant finding and selection
  • Bond guarantee protected by Hart District Council
  • Free tenancy agreements
  • Free professional third party check-in and check-out 
  • Expert housing officers to handle your letting

For more information or to sign up to our free letting service please register your interest online and we will get back to you.

Free information for landlords

As a service to our landlords, we have partnered with the National Residential Landlords Association (NRLA) to provide you with free information when you register with the NRLA Landlord Associate Scheme. As an associate you will be entitled to:

  • Unlimited free downloads of tenancy agreements and a wide range of other essential forms and documents (many of which are editable online) and maintain your own personal tenancy agreement repository online.
  • Receive invitations and free entry to landlord meetings.
  • Receive a fortnightly e-newsletter to help you keep pace with developments in the private rented sector.
  • Access to selected digitised pages from the NLA’s member magazine ‘UK Landlord’.
  • Participate in NLA landlord surveys. 
  • Register your landlord accreditation on the National Register of Accredited Landlords, and gain national recognition for your work.

If you are not already a member or associate of the NRLA, to register as an associate all you need to do is visit the NRLA website and enter your contact details.

We recommend that all landlords take this opportunity to keep up to date with ever changing rules and regulation, and to use reliable forms and letters, drafted by the industry’s largest landlord association.

If you are a landlord interested in renting out a property or would like some information about the Rent Bond Scheme, please contact our Engagement and Support team for further information on 01252 774239 or email

Please read our leaflets Information for Landlords on the Rent Bond Scheme and Calling all Landlords for more information.

For more advice on being a landlord visit the GOV.UK website.

Empty properties

Hart District Council is keen to support people to bring empty properties back into use and there are a number of ways that we can do this. We use information from our council tax records to identify properties that are empty for more than six months and will endeavour to make contact with home owners to discuss their property and the support we can give to help them bring it back into use. If you are the owner of an empty property and would like help bringing it back into use you can find out more information from our Empty Properties leaflet.

If you would like to report a property that you think is empty then please do so using our Empty Property Reporting Form

Letting and Managing Agents Redress Scheme

If tenants or landlords are not happy with the service they receive from a letting or managing agent they can complain to one of two government-approved redress schemes:

It is the Council’s duty to enforce membership of a scheme and if an agent fails to join an approved scheme they can be fined up to £5,000.

Further information on who the scheme applies to can be found in the following document:

Minimum energy efficiency standards

Any property rented out in the private sector must have a minimum energy efficiency rating of E on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). The regulations came into force for new lets and renewals of tenancies from 1st April 2018 and apply to all existing tenancies from 1st April 2020. It will be unlawful to rent a property which breaches the requirement for a minimum E rating unless there is an applicable exemption.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least three people who are not from the same ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It is sometimes called a ‘house share’. If five or more people live in the property then it is classed as a large HMO and requires a licence.

For more information on how to apply for a licence contact our Private Sector Housing Team on 01252 774420 or email

Fees from 1 April 2022


Number of people living in property* 

Fee for a five-year property licence

Renewal fee for a five-year property licence

5 £729.00 £560.00
6-10 £915.00 £704.00
11-15 £1096.00 £843.00
16-20 £1277.00 £981.00
21+  £1457.00 £1120.00

*Babies and children are counted as people for the fee calculation

You get a 10% reduction if you are a member of the National Landlords Association (NLA) and any other association affiliated to the National Federation of Residential Landlords (NFRL).

You can pay online for your HMO fees.

For additional information please refer to:

Landlord tesimonials