Planning policy guidance

Thames Basin Heath Special Protection Area

Thames Basin Heath Special Protection Area Delivery Framework 2009

Also see Policy NBE3 Thames Basin Heaths Special Protection Area and the supporting text in the adopted Hart Local Plan 2032.

Council owned/controlled SANG Allocation Criteria agreed by Cabinet on 1st October 2020. This sets out the criteria against which an allocation of Council owned/controlled SANG capacity will be considered. No priority for the allocation of Council administered or managed SANG will be given to any development that does not meet the above allocations policy. All SANG requests should be directed to John Elson, Head of Environment & Technical Services.

SANG costs 2020/21

Tariff for Strategic Access Management and Monitoring (SAMM) agreed by Cabinet 1st October 2020.

SANG capacity at 20 August 2020

Other Guidance

The Community Infrastructure Policy (updated August 2014) sets out the Council's requirements with new development, usually secured through Section 106 Planning Obligations, and often in the form of financial contributions. The following list provides more detail on the required contributions:

Parking Provision Interim Guidance

Illuminated Advertisements

Yateley Village Design Framework Supplementary Planning Document

​Odiham Village Design Statement

Surface Water Flooding Proforma

The surface water flooding proforma is a tool to help small scale developments meet the requirements of the Local Plan Flood Policy NBE5 d.  Part d of the flood policy requires sites at risk from any source of flooding to provide a flood risk assessment. Hart's Strategic Flood Risk Assessment has identified surface water and groundwater Indicative Flood Problem Areas where flooding from other sources is possible. These areas can be viewed on the Hart online maps under Environment. The aim of the proforma is to make a smoother planning application process for small scale developments located in areas that flood from surface water. 

You should consider using the Surface Water Flooding Proforma for sites of less than 1 ha in Flood Zone 1 that flood from surface water. You can check if your site floods from surface water by checking the Environment Agency's maps.

Please fill in the Surface Water Flooding Proforma below and submit the completed form with the rest of your planning application documents.

Causal Areas 

Causal Areas are the upstream watershed that drains into the most flood prone areas in Hart. Developments located in these areas should look to provide minor flood risk betterment so that a cumulative betterment can be achieved across the area for the most flood prone dwellings. 

You can check if your site is located in a Causal Area by using Hart District Council online maps. Causal Areas are located under the Environment Map Category.

Causal Areas Proforma

The Causal Area Proforma is a new tool to help developments that fall in a Causal Area, as identified by Hart District’s Strategic Flood Risk Assessment, meet the requirements of the Flood Policy NBE5 c. The aim of this proforma is to create a quick and simple way for developers to evidence that they are meeting the requirement of the flood policy. 

Please complete our online Causal Area Proforma to go with your planning application.  

Safe Access and Egress, Dry Islands

Developments located in Flood Zone 2 or 3 or on a dry island will need to consider access and egress issues if they are either increasing the number of dwellings or increasing the development's vulnerability category (e.g. a change of use from commercial to residential). This is to ensure that site users will not be put in danger if the proposed development could be cut off during a flood event. 

Dry Islands are areas that may be cut off during a river flood event from the wider Hart District area. While new dwellings built on a dry island will not flood directly from the rivers, site users have the potential to be cut off from the rest of the district for the duration of a flood event. Developments will therefore need to identify safe access and egress route or consider alternative means of managing these risks to site users. 

The information below should provide help and guidance to developments where access and egress is an issue: