Mental Health and Wellbeing

We all have mental health and it’s just as important as our physical health. On this page you will find information about mental health and wellbeing and the support available. 

Please note that the provision of some of the groups and services listed on this web page may be impacted by the current national coronavirus situation. For more up-to-date information please contact the individual service.

The NHS is there to support your mental health during the coronavirus pandemic, as well as your physical health. If you are facing mental health issues or are concerned about the mental health of your child you can contact your GP. You could also contact one of the helplines or services listed in the Support section of this page.

If you require urgent mental health support please read the Urgent Help section on this page.

Find out how to approach difficult conversations and how to be there when someone speaks up in the Heads Together Talking Mental Health Guide. More tips on how to start a difficult conversation can be found on the Samaritans website.

Mental Health and Wellbeing

Mental wellbeing is the foundation for a positive outlook on life. Although it does not mean that we are happy all the time, it does mean that we are more resilient and able to cope with life’s inevitable ups and downs.

Evidence suggests there are 5 steps you can take to improve your mental health and wellbeing. Trying these things could help you feel more positive and able to get the most out of life. 

Every Mind Matters provides simple tips and advice to help you take care of your mental wellbeing. You can also get tailored advice and tips by completing their Your Mind Plan quiz.

We all have times when we feel down or stressed or frightened. Most of the time those feelings pass. But sometimes they develop into a more serious problem and that could happen to any one of us. Find information about types of mental health problems on the Mind website.

If you are experiencing stress, feelings of anxiety or low mood, you can use the NHS mental health and wellbeing advice website for self-assessment, audio guides and practical tools.

Connecting with nature can improve your wellbeing including improving your mood, reducing feelings of stress, helping you take time out and feel more relaxed, and helping you be more active. Here are some ideas for ways to connect with nature:

  • Find a local country park or countryside site or volunteer at one of these sites. There are a variety of different volunteering roles to suit different interests and abilities. You can stay for as long as you wish and take part in as much of the task as you can. Taking part in a Taster Day is the best way to start. 
  • Try a mindful walk. Watch this video we created with the team at the Hart and Rushmoor Wellbeing Centre for tips on how to stay in the moment and connect with nature when you're out for a walk:
  • Create your own nature journal to capture how you feel before and after connecting with nature, and jot down anything interesting you notice while doing so.
  • Check out this A to Z of mindfulness in nature from BBC Countryfile.
  • Try one of these activities for children and families from the RSPB.
  • Bring the wellbeing benefits of forests into your home with one of these activities from Forestry England including learn to forest bathe at home.

Coronavirus and your wellbeing

The charity Mind has created a special web page about coronavirus and your wellbeing.

The Better Health - Every Mind Matters website has a Coronavirus and mental wellbeing information hub.

The Young Minds website has advice on talking to your child about coronavirus, as well as advice for young people about looking after their mental health while self-isolating.


In the sections below you will find information about websites, helplines, and services to support your mental health and wellbeing.

If you can't find what you're looking for you could also visit the Mental Wellbeing Hampshire webpage.

Lots of things can impact on our mental health and wellbeing including money worries and unemployment. If you are experiencing these issues, find information about support on our Your Way Forward web page.

Disclaimer: Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of this information, Hart District Council will not be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using this web page and of any inaccuracy or error within it. Please note that information, websites, resources and apps are suggestions only and are not endorsed by Hart District Council.