Set on the North Downs overlooking the valley of the River Wey, Long Sutton is the highest of the District's villages - at 600 feet.
An impressive Tudor farmhouse, a 13th Century church, a round duck pond complete with ducks, and brick and half-timbered cottages create an attractive village scene.
The Harrow Way, one of the oldest roads in England once ran through Long Sutton. The first settlement owed its origin to this-and both the primitive church and the stone one that was to succeed it served the spiritual needs of travellers who passed the south door. After the murder of Thomas Becket in 1170 the Harrow Way, leading from the west of England towards Kent, became one of the branches of the Pilgrims Way and Long Sutton a stopping place for pilgrims.
The present church is built, like many Hampshire churches of flint and rubble with chalk quoin stones at the corners. The nave and chancel date from the early 13th Century and the south chapel may possibly have been added later as a pilgrims' chapel.
To view parish information about the community, heritage and conservation areas please select the parish in the parish profiles web page.
No neighbourhood plan.
Long Sutton Parish Council contact details
Long Sutton & Well Parish Council
Long Sutton Village Hall
Telephone: 01252 492136