Hook is mentioned as early as the 11th century when it was known as La Hoke. The parish of Hook lies some 4 miles to the east of Basingstoke at the junction of the A.30 and A.32, and close to Junction 5 of the M.3. Thus Hook is an ideal place for communications, but two minutes on foot from the busy village centre brings the walker into some of the most beautiful farmland and landscape in Hampshire.
The first train from London to Southampton ran on May 11th 1840, and towards the end of the century the railway company was running sixpenny excursions from London to Hook Common.
The Common remains a beautiful spot to which people still come to enjoy the peace and beauty of the unspoilt countryside.
There are many period buildings in the village including Old Raven House, Hook House Farm, the Mill House, and the White Hart Hotel, an old coaching inn which still keeps its great stable yard doors.
The village has expanded over the last few years and is a lively friendly place where many local clubs and organisations flourish.
To view parish information about the community, heritage and conservation areas please select the parish in the parish profiles web page.
Hook Parish Council contact details