Help & advice

Data Privacy - General Data Protection Regulation 

Your personal data

The UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) together with the 2018 Data Protection Act, applies to every organisation that processes your personal information.

The regulation sets out some key principles and following its introduction will make the answers to each of the following questions much clearer and more transparent for all citizens.

  • Why is information recorded about you?
  • What is the information used for?
  • How long will we hold your information for?
  • When and under what circumstances do we share your information and why?
  • Anyone who gets information has to keep it confidential or we cannot share it with them.
  • The right for you to access your information. If you want to know what information we have about you then please contact us on 01252 774077 or email If you contact us to discuss your request we can usually respond to your request more quickly.
  • The right to have errors in your information corrected. If you aware of errors in your information, then please contact us on 01252 774077 or email
  • The right to have non-statutory information held about you deleted. There are limitations to this right, as the Electoral Register is a document of record and is kept for ever.

This part of our website explains in detail and places them in a privacy notice that we will refer you to if you need more information.

We are committed to making sure that we set the highest standards of good practice in how it is implemented. This privacy notice may be updated frequently as new advice in relation to GDPR is adopted.

Privacy Notice

This is the privacy notice that applies to the following Elections and Registration processes:

  1. Where you have made a general enquiry over the phone, in writing or by email and where you have given us your personal details as part of that enquiry.
  2. Where you have registered to vote by phoning us or writing to us. It also applies where you have registered to vote with the Government’s Voter Registration Service and they have sent us your details. Information you have provided to the Government's Voter Registration Service is also covered.
  3. Where you have applied to vote by post, in writing, or by submitting a scanned application by email.
  4. Where you have applied to vote by proxy, in writing, or by submitting a scanned application by email.
  5. Where you have applied to work for the Returning Officer at an Election or Referendum.
  6. Where you have applied to work for the Electoral Registration Officer collection Household Enquiry forms or Individual Registration forms.

It does not apply to any other processes that Hart District Council have in place. You can find more information about these on the council's privacy page.

The Data Controller is:

For processes 1,2,3,4, and 6 The Electoral Registration Officer, Civic Offices, Harlington Way, FLEET, GU51 4AE. Registration number: Z6770403.

For process 5: Hart District Council, Civic Offices, Harlington Way, FLEET, GU51 4AE. Registration Number: Z6421908

The Data Protection Officer (DPO) for all the processes can be contacted at Hart District Council, Civic Offices, Harlington Way, FLEET, GU51 4AE or by calling 01252 622122

Election and Registration processes

  1. Making a general enquiry
  2. Registering to vote
  3. Applying to vote by post
  4. Applying to vote by proxy
  5. If you work for us - at an election for the Returning Officer
  6. If you work for us - working for the Electoral Registration Officer collecting registration forms

Information common to processes 1 to 6

  • There will be no processing of your data by any of the parties listed, other than that necessary and associated with the process.
  • Your data will not be used for any purpose other than listed in the above 6 processes.
  • You have the right to request that any information held incorrectly is rectified. You can do that by contacting us in writing or by email. If the information is held incorrectly on the electoral register because you have moved house then you should update and correct your register details by going to or contact us.
  • If you are unhappy with how the Election Manager processed your data you can contact the DPO at Hart District Council by calling 01252 622122
  • If you are unhappy with how the DPO has dealt with any complaint you can complain to the Information Commissioner.
  • Information Commissioner Office helpline: 0303 123 1113

Data Sharing Agreements

The companies we share data with are ERSSciPrint and Idox

End of data privacy section


Useful information for Candidates

Guidance for Candidates (Parish) - The primary source of information for candidates is the Electoral Commission.

Guidance of Candidates (District) - The primary source of information for candidates is the Electoral Commission.

Candidate expenses

View a list of eligible elector totals for the District and Parish Elections being held on 6 May 2021.

Please check the expenses formula included in the legislation to check your figures.

What is the difference between the electoral register and open register?

There are two registers produced - the electoral register and the open register. Your name and address will appear on the electoral register, but you can choose whether or not your details appear on the open register by completing our changing your open register preference online form.

The electoral register contains the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote. You can view the electoral register at the Civic Offices. Only certain organisations are allowed to have copies of the electoral register. It can only be used for: electoral purposes, crime prevention and detection, and the vetting of applicants for credit. It is a criminal offence to use it for any unauthorised purpose or to pass it on to anyone else.

The open register is available for general sale and can be used for any purpose, including commercial activities such as marketing. It excludes the names and addresses of people who have opted out.

Assistance for people with disabilities


If you need assistance with registering to vote, you will find that we have LARGE PRINT documentation available on request. You can also adjust the size of the text on these web pages by clicking on the text size button at the top.

For general advice on registering to vote and voting you may find the Mencap website useful.


If you need assistance with voting, you will find that most polling stations are equipped with;

  • a ramp to provide easier access to the building for those with impaired mobility where access via steps is otherwise required
  • a polling booth suitable for wheelchair users
  • a large print ballot paper to assist partially sighted voters
  • a device to enable blind or partially sighted voters to vote unaided.

A voter who cannot read or one who has a physical disability and who is unable to vote without assistance may be helped by a companion or by the staff within the polling station.

We recognise that there are still some voters who will be unable to go to their polling station on the day of the election. If this is the case these voters may wish to consider applying to vote by post or proxy (a proxy is someone who votes on your behalf).

Looking for a lost friend or relative?

Finding a lost friend or relative on the electoral register could be difficult because electoral registration is performed by the local electoral registration office for each area and there is no official centralised electoral register that can be searched.

If you want to look at the register to try to find a lost friend or relative, there are two versions of the electoral register that you can look at – the electoral version and the open version. The electoral register is used only for elections, preventing and detecting crime and checking applications for credit. The open register is available for general sale and can be used for commercial activities such as marketing. It is possible to search the open register using online commercial organisations, but it is not possible to search the electoral register in this way, as the full registers are only available to view in hard copy at each local electoral registration office.

Contact us

If you have any enquiries regarding electoral services please contact us:-

Telephone: 01252 774073, 01252 774157 or 01252 774158 or email

Electoral and Registration Services
Civic Offices
Harlington Way
GU51 4AE