Health & safety

What we do

We aim to ensure employers and their employees understand their health and safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety at Work legislation. In line with guidance from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) we: 

  • Inspect 'high risk' premises
  • Provide advice and guidance
  • Respond to complaints and enquiries
  • Investigate accidents and follow up 'statutory notifications' e.g. examining lifts, boilers and pressure vessels and work with asbestos containing materials.
  • Raise awareness of significant hazards and legal requirements
  • Test water at facilities such as spas and swimming pools

Premises where we enforce health and safety law

Full details of our enforcement duties are set out in the Health & Safety (Enforcing Authority) Regulations, but as a general guide, we cover the following businesses:

  • Offices, hotels, places of worship
  • Supermarkets, food shops restaurants and public houses
  • Retail - including shops, hair dressers, builders merchants
  • Leisure - including cinema, theatres, art galleries, museums, gyms, and swimming pools

How to report an accident

Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences (also known as RIDDOR) is done through the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

If you have a query about reporting an accident or have suffered an injury in a workplace and need advice please do not hesitate to contact us on 01252 774421 or email

Health & Safety Advice

We can provide advice via 01252 774421 or email There are also specialist organisations that may be able to assist, as listed below:

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
The HSE ensures that risks to people's health and safety from work activities are properly controlled.

Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH)
Founded in 1883, the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) is a professional and educational body, dedicated to the promotion of environmental health.

Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
Europe's leading body representing safety and health professionals, with more than 24,000 members working across the full spectrum of industry, commerce and the public sector.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA)
A registered charity providing information, advice, resources and training.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS)
Services include enforcement of fire safety laws, giving fire safety advice and emergency planning.

British Safety Council (BSC)
Europe's largest independent occupational health and safety organisation and works with the world's leading companies, developing safe systems of work.

The Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (ARCA)
ARCA is the Leading Trade Association in the Field of Asbestos Management Services.


There are several types of asbestos which may be dangerous and can potentially cause injury or disease. However bonded asbestos (as in sheeting, guttering, garage roofs etc) should not present any significant health risk, provided it is handled correctly.

Bonded asbestos should be handled, stored and transported to disposal sites separately from other waste. To further reduce the risk to you and others:

  • Do not break, cut or saw it – try to remove it whole as breaking, and especially sawing, creates dust and releases fibres. 
  • Double wrap it in plastic, the plastic should be sealed and marked as 'asbestos waste' to prevent any further release of dust.
  • If you have no choice but to break it – dampen with water first and then wrap as above.

Disposal: When disposing of it, make sure you check the list of the local household recycling centres with asbestos containers and their rules first.

Visit the HSE website for more information about asbestos.

Contact Environmental Health

Phone: 01252 774421