The name recorded in the 13th century as Hertleye Wynteneye means "the clearing in the forest where the deer graze by Winta's island". Winta was probably a Saxon who held an island in the marshes of the Hart valley where a priory of Cistercian nuns was founded in 1190.
The village grew prosperous as a main road village, first as a stopping place from London to the Royal Palace at Odiham and then as a coach stop on the London-Exeter Road, the A.30.
Now it is known as a centre for the antique trade and is the proud possessor of one of the oldest cricket greens in England. Cricket has been played in this superb setting for over 200 years and Hartley men were playing for England in Napoleon's time.
Standing guard over the village's central common are the Mildmay Oaks, planted after the Battle of Trafalgar to provide wood for the nation's ships of the future. The village is also the setting for West Green House, an 18th century house now owned by the National Trust.
To view parish information about the community, heritage and conservation areas please select the parish in the parish profiles web page.
Hartley Wintney Parish Council contact details