Flooding & weather advice

This page provides advice on the following:

The Met Office will put out warnings regarding severe weather and this can be found on their website

This Fleet weather forecast is generated by the Met Office Weather Widget


Provision of Sandbags to Protect against Flooding

If you require Council sandbags in an emergency, please call 01252 622122 (office hours) or 01252 398 183 between 7am and 9am, and 5pm and 1am Monday to Friday. At weekends, between 7am and 1am.

The Council can provide sandbags to protects residents’ homes during flooding. Sandbags are only available during office hours and up to 1am. If you know that your home is at a high risk of flooding, we recommend preparing in advance by obtaining sandbags from a builders’ merchant.

The following builders’ merchants are generally able to supply empty sandbags plus bags of sand:

  • Jewson (01252 613555) at 128 Clarence Road, Fleet, GU51 3RS
  • Travis Perkins (01252 613681) in Fleet Road, Fleet, GU51 3PD

Flood warnings

Some areas within Hart are at risk of flooding, to view an interactive map of flood warnings in Hart please visit the Environment Agency website.

Find out if you are at risk of flooding

Check if you are at risk of flooding using the Environment Agency’s Long Term Flood Risk maps

Report flooding

If you have been affected by flooding in Hart, please fill in our online flood survey.

The following notes give guidance on who to contact for various types of flooding:

Flooding from public sewers

Thames Water owns and manages the network of public foul and surface water sewers. Most public sewers are in the highway. To report an overflowing public sewer, you should call Thames Water Customer Services on 0800 316 9800 (24-hour service) or report via Twitter or Facebook. If you wish to view the Thames Water sewer map for your area please email Thames Water onlinecustomers@thameswater.co.uk to request this.

Flooding from private sewers or drains

If your private drains or sewers are overflowing, you will need a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage. If you are uncertain if any blockage is in the public or private sewers, Thames Water should be able to determine this, once on site, then recharge you the cost of any work on the private sewers.

Flooding from the public highway

For flooding from the public highway or reporting blocked road gullies or gratings, contact Hampshire Highways North office at Hook, on 0300 555 1388.

Flooding from a burst water main

The local water supply company are South East Water - Customer Call Centre 0845 301 0845. You can also report a leak to South East Water online. The water company are responsible for their supply up to and including the water stopcock.

Flooding from a water service pipe or internal pipework

This is the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord and would need the attention of a plumber.

Flooding from a main river

The Environment Agency has enforcement powers relating to main rivers. A map of main rivers and the areas at risk of flooding from them can be viewed on the Environment Agency website.

  • Environment Agency general enquiry number is 03708 506 506
  • 24-hour Floodline advice and information service for floods and flood warnings is 0345 988 1188

Flooding from watercourses, other than main rivers

Hampshire County Council has enforcement powers relating to ordinary watercourses (smaller ditches or streams that are not listed as a main river). Further advise can be found on the Hampshire County Council website.

Responsibilities for maintaining rivers, ditches, and watercourses

All watercourses including rivers, ditches and streams are the responsibility of riparian owners to look after. You are a riparian owner if your property or land is on, or boarders, a watercourse. Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow and Hampshire County Council can serve legal notices on riparian owners to deal with obstructions. Please see the Hampshire County Council leaflet on Riparian Ownership for more details. For advice, during office hours, call Hart District Council on 01252 774210.

Protecting your property from flooding 

National Flood Forum are a charity who are there to support those affected by flooding. Their website includes advice and guidance about protecting your property from flooding

Hot weather advice

Help to prevent heat-related illnesses by following the advice below:

Stay out of the heat: Keep out of the sun between 11am and 3pm. If you have to go out in the heat, walk in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a hat and light scarf and avoid extreme physical exertion.

Cool yourself down: Have plenty of cold drinks, but avoid caffeine and alcohol. Eat cold foods, particularly salads and fruit with a high water content. Take a cool shower, bath or body wash by sprinkling water over the skin or clothing, or keep a damp cloth on the back of your neck.

Keep your environment cool: Keep windows that are exposed to the sun closed during the day, and open windows at night when the temperature has dropped. Have your loft and cavity walls insulated – this keeps the heat in when it is cold and out when it is hot.

Look out for others: Keep an eye on isolated, elderly, ill or very young people and make sure they are able to keep cool. Ensure that babies, children or elderly people are not left alone in stationary cars. Check on elderly or sick neighbours, family or friends every day during a heat wave and be alert and call a doctor or social services if someone is unwell or further help is needed.

For further heatwave health advice, which is especially important to groups that might be at more at risk during high temperatures, please see the NHS website.

Cold weather advice

Keeping warm and safe

During periods of very cold weather, it is important to ensure that you stay warm and reduce your risk of injury by staying indoors as much as possible and avoiding travel unless it is absolutely necessary. It is better to dress in several thin layers than rely on a single garment to keep warm. The layers of clothing trap air between them which helps retain heat. More information can be found on the NHS Stay Well This Winter website.

Clearing pavements, roads and driveways

If you are fit and able, try to keep access to your house and the pavements adjacent to your property clear of snow and ice to make it easier for deliveries by your postman, milkman etc to take place and for the safety of your family and neighbours. Contrary to popular myth, you are very unlikely to be successfully sued by someone falling on an area which you have cleared.

In the event of heavy snow fall, the Council's Snow Plan will be implemented to ensure continued provision of services.

Gritting main roads

Clearance and salting/gritting of roads is undertaken by the County Council on a priority basis. It will prioritise trunk roads and through routes. Residential areas are generally treated as low priority unless they provide access to sheltered accommodation or medical centres. Regular traffic and road updates are given on the Hantsconnect Twitter feed. Specific information is available online: