In Saxon times the area was called Fugelmere meaning a wildfowl lake and the name Fleet came from the Norman word "la Flete" (stream).
Less than 40 miles from London and with high speed rail and motorway links to London and the south coast, the town of Fleet is the administrative and commercial centre of the District. For many centuries it was an area of marsh and heathland with a sparse population, and its development stems from the arrival of the railway in 1840. This brought visitors from London to enjoy Fleet Pond, pine woods and silver birches and the beautiful scenery which inspired many to settle there. The residential and light industrial development is served by a good shopping centre which includes a broad selection of small independent retailers as well as the national chain stores.
Fleet is also well served with car parks, and sport and leisure facilities such as the Harlington Centre, the Hart Leisure Centre, and the Peter Driver Sports Ground. The "Views" meadow behind the Civic Offices and Harlington Centre provides a pleasant area of open space with a well equipped children's playground. Nearby Calthorpe Park is the venue for the annual Fireworks display and other local events such as Fleet & District Carnival and the Fleet Half Marathon.
The architecture of Fleet is varied and contains a mix of fine older Victorian properties as well as some striking new buildings.
To view parish information about the community, heritage and conservation areas please select the parish in the parish profiles web page.
Fleet Town Council contact details