Eversley's ancient origins are suggested by the village sign erected on Cross Green. The name is believed to be derived from "Efor's Leigh", field of the wild boar, and is one of the few remaining records of the existence of the boar in England. Eversley is recorded in the Domesday Book and was valued at £4 in 1086.
Eversley has an excellent footpath and bridleway network and ready access to hundreds of acres of Forestry Commission land. One bridleway, the Welsh Drive, is the historic route of the Drovers road from Wales to the cattle markets in London. It passes close by a bronze-age bowl barrow called Cudbury Clump. The far-sighted social reformer, naturalist and author Charles Kingsley was rector of the village from 1844 until his death in 1875, and it was in the rectory that he wrote "The Water Babies".
To view parish information about the community, heritage and conservation areas please select the parish in the parish profiles web page.
Eversley Parish Council contact details