Data Privacy - General Data Protection Regulation
Your personal data
The UK General Data Protection Regulation together with the 2018 Data Protection Act, applies to every organisation that processes your personal information.
The regulation sets out some key principles and will make the answers to each of the following questions much clearer and more transparent for all citizens.
- Why is information recorded about you?
- What is the information used for?
- How long will we hold your information for?
- When and under what circumstances do we share your information and why?
- Anyone who gets information has to keep it confidential or we cannot share it with them.
- The right for you to access your information. If you want to know what information we have about you then please contact us on 01252 774077 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you contact us to discuss your request we can usually respond to your request more quickly.
- The right to have errors in your information corrected. If you aware of errors in your information, then please contact us on 01252 774077 or email email@example.com.
- The right to have non-statutory information held about you deleted. There are limitations to this right, as the Electoral Register is a document of record and is kept for ever.
This part of our website explains in detail and places them in a privacy notice that we will refer you to if you need more information.
We are committed to making sure that we set the highest standards of good practice in how it is implemented. This privacy notice may be updated frequently as new advice in relation to the guidelines is adopted.
This is the privacy notice that applies to the following Elections and Registration processes:
- Where you have made a general enquiry over the phone, in writing or by email and where you have given us your personal details as part of that enquiry.
- Where you have registered to vote by phoning us or writing to us. It also applies where you have registered to vote with the Government’s Voter Registration Service and they have sent us your details. Information you have provided to the Government's Voter Registration Service is also covered.
- Where you have applied to vote by post, in writing, or by submitting a scanned application by email.
- Where you have applied to vote by proxy, in writing, or by submitting a scanned application by email.
- Where you have applied to work for the Returning Officer at an Election or Referendum.
- Where you have applied to work for the Electoral Registration Officer collection Household Enquiry forms or Individual Registration forms.
It does not apply to any other processes that Hart District Council have in place. You can find more information about these on the council's privacy page.
The Data Controller is:
For processes 1,2,3,4, and 6 The Electoral Registration Officer, Civic Offices, Harlington Way, FLEET, GU51 4AE. Registration number: Z6770403.
For process 5: Hart District Council, Civic Offices, Harlington Way, FLEET, GU51 4AE. Registration Number: Z6421908
The Data Protection Officer for all the processes can be contacted at Hart District Council, Civic Offices, Harlington Way, FLEET, GU51 4AE or by calling 01252 622122
Election and Registration processes
- Making a general enquiry
- Registering to vote
- Applying to vote by post
- Applying to vote by proxy
- If you work for us - at an election for the Returning Officer
- If you work for us - working for the Electoral Registration Officer collecting registration forms
Information common to processes 1 to 6
- There will be no processing of your data by any of the parties listed, other than that necessary and associated with the process.
- Your data will not be used for any purpose other than listed in the above 6 processes.
- You have the right to request that any information held incorrectly is rectified. You can do that by contacting us in writing or by email. If the information is held incorrectly on the electoral register because you have moved house then you should update and correct your register details by going to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote or contact us.
- If you are unhappy with how the Election Manager processed your data you can contact the Data Protection Officer at Hart District Council by calling 01252 622122
- If you are unhappy with how the Data protection Officer has dealt with any complaint you can complain to the Information Commissioner.
- Information Commissioner Office helpline: 0303 123 1113