This is the largest parish in the district covering more than nine square miles and is all that remains of the old Hundred of Crondall referred to in the Domesday Book of 1086. The southern boundary is the North Downs along which ran the prehistoric Harrow Way, thought to be the oldest road in Britain which ran from the Cornish tin mines to Dover in Kent. Remains of Roman and Norman settlements have been found close beside the Harrow Way near Barley Pound.
Crondall has for centuries been rich farming land. A great variety of soils appear in the area because it lies on the edge of the London Basin. These soils include chalk, clay and heavy fertile loam called Hampshire Clunch. Hops, widely renowned, were grown here for two hundred years until the last war.
Throughout Crondall there are many well-preserved old houses and cottages. The 12th Century Norman parish church is one of the finest in Hampshire. It replaced a Saxon church on the same site and the Saxon font remains from that period. Three Norman doorways and the interior work of the same period is most impressive.
A fine panoramic view of this beautiful part of Hampshire may be gained from Queens View to the east of Crondall. It takes its name from the fact that Queen Victoria admired this view whilst inspecting the garrisoned troops at nearby Aldershot "Home of the British Army".
To view parish information about the community, heritage and conservation areas please select the parish in the parish profiles web page.
Crondall Parish Council contact details