Help & advice


Appeals can be made under certain circumstances in respect of Council Tax bandings. Full details can be found at Gov.UK

All Council Tax banding appeals must go through the Valuation Office Agency. Alternatively you can email or write to the VOA at Regional Valuation Unit South, Valuation Office Agency (VOA), St Annes House, 2 St Annes Road, Eastbourne, BN21 3LG.

Can I set up a direct debit to pay my Council Tax?

Yes you can set up a Direct Debit  using our online form, please have your bank account details to hand

The Council collects payments from your nominated bank account every month as agreed on your payment schedule, on the date you select (either 1st or 15th).

You are covered by the Direct Debit guarantee if something does go wrong. Please note there are restrictions on the type of bank accounts that accept Direct Debits.

Why was my direct debit recalled?

This could have happened for several reasons:

  • Not enough funds in your bank account
  • Bank account details not being recognised

Please check with your Bank to see if there are any issues with your Direct Debit.

How do I apply for single person discount on my Council Tax?

To apply for single person discount you will need to complete the online form.

How do I apply for an exemption from paying Council Tax if I am a student?

To be eligible for a student discount you must be on a university or college course which lasts for at least a year, takes at least 24 weeks a year and involves at least 21 hours of study per week during term time, or under the age of 20 and studying for more than 3 months and at least 12 hours per week for any qualification up to A level, ONC or OND standard. Evening classes or courses taken in connection with a person’s job, such as day release, are not included.

You can apply for a student discount or exemption online and upload your student certificate. 

How much are the Council Tax charges in Hart?

You can view the Council Tax Charges on our dedicated webpage.

What is the address for Council Tax correspondence?

There is a lot of useful information on the Council 's website which may be able to answer your query. In addition, if you set up your own online account this will give you the ability to self-serve in many areas, for example you can view your payment record and details of next instalment, apply for discounts and notify us of a change of address. Here you can set up an online account.

If the matter cannot be resolved in these ways and you wish to write to us, the contact details are below.


Write to: Hart District Council Revenues Section, PO Box 227,  Erith, DA8 9GX

What evidence do I need to prove that a Council Tax payer is now in a nursing home?

Discounts and exemptions can be claimed online. Supporting evidence can be uploaded as part of the online form.  The evidence required in this case is a letter from the nursing or residential care home confirming the date of admission

Where can I find my Council Tax account reference?

Your account reference is located at the top of your bill.

How can I check whether I have overpaid my Council Tax?

Please register/sign into your online account. This allows you to manage your Council Tax account and make payments. You will be able to keep up to date with how much you owe , if payments have been received and when your next instalment is due.

I think I may struggle to pay my bills - how can you help me?

If you are having difficulty paying or have received warning letters that you are in arrears, please check whether you may be entitled to Council Tax Support or Discounts. You can also set up an online account and suggest a possible repayment arrangement. 

Alternatively you can submit a payment arrangement form for consideration or you can ring Council Tax to discuss your situation on 01252 622122.