Council Tax support

Council Tax Support is a local scheme run by the Council, if you are on a low income you may be able to get help towards your Council Tax. You can claim Council Tax Support whether you are employed or unemployed and you do not have savings/capital over £16,000.

We would suggest you use our online calculator to check your possible entitlement. To apply for Support please use our online claim form.

Always claim as soon as you need help paying your Council Tax – Council Tax Support is normally awarded from the Monday following the date you first contact us.

How much Council Tax Support you are entitled to depends on:

  • Your household income

  • Childcare costs

  • The amount of capital or savings you have

  • The number of people in the household and their ages

  • The number of “grown up” children in the household (known as non-dependants)

  • If anyone in your household is disabled or is a carer

A non-dependant is someone aged 18 or over, who normally lives with you but not liable to make any payments in respect of the dwelling.

The following people are not classed as non-dependants

  • your partner

  • children for whom you receive child benefit

  • people in full time education

Your Council Tax Support will reduce depending on the number of non-dependants living with you. We will not make any non-dependant reduction if you receive Attendance Allowance or care component of Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment . Also, there is no deduction, if you are registered blind, or the non-dependant is a pensioner or receipt of Guarantee Pension Credit.

Non-dependant deductions for Council Tax Support –gross weekly income of non-dependant

Weekly Deduction £

In receipt of Pension Credit, Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance


Aged 18 and over with no income


Aged 18 and over working less than 16 hours per week


Aged 18 and over working 16 hours per week or more:


Less than £207.69 per week


Between £207.70 and £360.09 per week


Between £360.10 and £447.39 per week


Over £447.40 per week


To view the Council Tax Reduction Scheme Reports: Summary Report  (5 pages), Full Report (156 pages)

Your Council Tax Support will be deducted from your Council Tax Bill - we will send you an amended bill showing your revised payments (if any) from the date your of claim to the end of the financial year. You won't need to claim Council Tax Support each year. However, you MUST let us know immediately if any of your circumstances change as this could affect the amount of Council Tax Support you are entitled to.  Use our Online Change in Circumstances form to tell us. You can also e-mail us to notify a change which affects your Support at  or write to us at Hart District Council, Benefits Service, PO Box 227, Erith DA8 9GX

The evidence you will need to provide is shown in our Standards of Evidence document.