Hart Guide: Crondall
This is the largest parish in the district covering more than nine square miles and is all that remains of the old Hundred of Crondall referred to in the Domesday Book of 1086. The southern boundary is the North Downs along which ran the prehistoric Harrow Way, thought to be the oldest road in Britain which ran from the Cornish tin mines to Dover in Kent. Remains of Roman and Norman settlements have been found close beside the Harrow Way near Barley Pound.
Crondall has for centuries been rich farming land. A great variety of soils appear in the area because it lies on the edge of the London Basin. These soils include chalk, clay and heavy fertile loam called Hampshire Clunch. Hops, widely renowned, were grown here for two hundred years until the last war.
The 12th Century Norman parish church is one of the finest in Hampshire. It replaced a Saxon church on the same site and the Saxon font remains from that period. Three Norman doorways and the interior work of the same period is most impressive.
Throughout Crondall there are many well-preserved old houses and cottages.
A fine panoramic view of this beautiful part of Hampshire may be gained from Queens View to the east of Crondall. It takes its name from the fact that Queen Victoria admired this view whilst inspecting the garrisoned troops at nearby Aldershot "Home of the British Army".
Estimated Population: Crondall Parish - 2009 = 1383 (Hampshire Small Area Population Forecasts)
Parish Code = 24UG002
Parish Council Website: http://www.crondall-pc.gov.uk
Postcode Area = GU10
Size/area 2404.971 Hectares
Shops and Markets. Crondall has a central shop and Post Office "The Crondall Stores"
Bus Services: Fleet Buzz Service 74
Childrens Activities/Play facilities
Old people support