Health and Safety
Your business has legal responsibilities to provide safe and healthy conditions for your employees, customers, suppliers and anyone else who could be affected by your activities.
Your business can also benefit from good health and safety at work. Effective health and safety practices pay for themselves, because they help you avoid staff illness, accidents and the costs associated with them. They can also improve your reputation with customers, regulators and employees.
The Environmental Health Department aim to reduce risks of accidents, injuries and ill health due to workplaces and practices in Hart. If you are concerned about safety issues in your workplace, we may be able to help.
- Inspecting workplaces throughout the district
- Investigations accidents and dangerous occurrences
- Ensuring premises used as places of public entertainment or for marriage ceremonies meet the necessary safety standards to hold a licence
- Advising employers on health at work policies e.g. no smoking, alcohol
- Ensuring door supervisors at licensed premises are suitable and adequately trained to be registered for their roles
- Undertaking special projects to develop best practice guidelines e.g. for launderettes, cooling towers run a range of training courses on health and safety issues
- Producing guides on running safe events
Click the links on the left to find out more.
Who we support
The places we can get directly involved with are
- Public houses
- Builders merchants
- Tyre and exhaust fitting centres
- Sports clubs, gyms and swimming pools
- Anywhere that "Specal Treatments" are carried out (ear piercing, tattooing etc.)
If the council are unable to help directly (because we are legally only allowed to deal with certain types of premises), you will need to contact The Health and Safety Executive (details below).
Useful Health & Safety Links
Government website for health and safety at work
Health and Safety Executive guide for business
Health & Safety Enquiries
If you have an enquiry or you are concerned about health and safety standards or licences at work, please get in touch.
If the council cannot help (because we are legally only allowed to deal with certain types of premises), the organisation you will need to contact is: The Health and Safety Executive, Priestley House, Priestley Road, Basingstoke, Hants, RG24 9NW, Tel: 01256 404000.
The Health and Safety Executive also has an information line on 0845 345 0055